Civility

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Buduranus2, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Buduranus2

Buduranus2 Member

Recently a TGP member in this forum engaged in an escalating pattern of unwarranted vitriol, anger and hostility agaist members whose views differed from his. Ultimately, the entire thread was deleted. I don’t think this type of bullying has any place in civilized discourse. If, for example, someone disagrees with your views, then use it as an opportunity to enlighten and educate. In other words, be constructive, not destructive. Let’s appreciate our community here and not foul the nest.

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Screw that, welcome to my ignore list.

:sarcasm

3. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

This happened in the Playing and Technique section :huh sad I missed it.

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I was the op of the thread

I meant no harm, just wanted to talk blues

5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I feel good that I never really got cheap on line, I kept it civil.

6. RLD

RLD Member

There does seem to be a bit of one–upmanship and perpetual arguing about the minutia of music theory.
    I guess its to be expected as there are lots of people here with deep knowledge on the subject.
    I remind myself that most (not all) of the artists mentioned here don't understand the theory behind what they do, yet they express themselves via their instrument anyway.
    That being said, I am always trying to improve and learn more every practice session and I appreciate those sharing their expertise.

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

musta missed that, but it probably happens more than you know. the thing to do is to report it, see it nuked, then move on. pleading for civility in an open forum will never change minds - those who agree, agree, those who don't, ignore.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I was never trying to one up anyone, I was trying my best to be allowed the right to own my own thoughts though.

Owning my thoughts and sharing them seem to be two different things.

9. gennation

gennation Member

I never did look into that blues thread because it seemed like it was destine to create a hornets nest.

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Yea,

Rule #1, don't mess with the blues purists and the old "if you're thinkin, you're stinkin"

11. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

lol, you would have eventually most likely

because it's the show that never ends

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Thank you very much.

13. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Ok, I deleted the thread,
    some folks were saying terrible things about me and a friend of mine, SK. He didn't deserve it and neither did I.

But let me tell you, when I read the last post by the offending person, IT HIT HARD.
    To hear him accuse me of taking Kimocks theories and claiming them as my own work.
    That is totally insulting and I was embarrassed having that out there for all to read.
    IT'S NOT TRUE, yes I learn from Steve and as a result I take on some of his discriptions of things, because that's how I understand it. I also think in terms of altered dominant being used against a V7 chord because that was the way I learned that in college 30 yrs ago. No one has called me on that.

So what people don't understand they resist, don't go fixin something that ain't broke.

People I'm not trying to fix your anything or sell you anything,, all I ask is you read my thoughts - and be civil in response. If you don't agree that's cool, but to say I can't play and don't know anything and basically being an embarrassing joke, that's taking it a bit too far.

I'm glad most of you didn't read that last stuff. It was aweful

14. huw

huw Member

Clifford, as I was the one who first brought Steve Kimock's name into that thread I think I should apologise to you for un-intentionaly derailing your thread. That was far from my intention, as I agreed with just about everything you had written! (and admire Steve's playing a great deal).

Sorry it all went pear - shaped...

15. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Thank you for bringing Steves name up.

There are those of us out there that know
    what it means to share online.

You are cool dude. ain't no thang

16. Swain

Swain Member

Wow, that's awful to hear Cliff!

I agree with the OP here.

Seems like there's a few options when you see a thread that you don't like or agree with. And they're all civil and the type of things you might do in person, as opposed to across the ananymous internet.

1. Just click on the "Back" button and find another thread you do enjoy.

2. Speak your piece about what you don't agree with.
    And just do it once.
    No need to repeat your self, so you can have the "last word". Either your thoughts will hold their own water or they won't. The other people reading won't really be swayed by your saying something over and over.

3. If you truly feel there is something misleading about a subject. Something that is just too egregious to let it go, add just one more comment. But, make sure it's well thought out and covers every aspect of what you want to say.
    Because again, repeating it all over and over is just ridiculous.
    And if you are that passionate, you'll speak your piece without needing any more follow-up. Because you took the time to cover all the bases, and your words will hold their own.

Seems pretty simple.

17. russ6100

russ6100 Member

For the record, I didn't find your thread offensive in the least but surely you're not naive enough to think that it wouldn't generate some heated discussion. A little bit more ambitious than just "wanting to talk blues" - it read a tad bit more like a manifesto. It'd be like if I started a thread aiming to define the true nature of GOD or some such....

This isn't the first time you've done this - it's kind of become your modus operandi. You start a thread, get uncomfortable with the heat then you take your ball and go home.

Like I said, I wasn't offended but unless it's this sort of attention you're after, maybe for the sake of your own happiness & well being you might want to relax a little.

18. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

like I said I didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

I would like to know how it is safe to talk about these topics without bringing out
    the mean thing, and people do get mean.

I guess the answer is I can't, I can't do it. I somehow make myself vulnerable in
    some way and the sharks come to feed.

yea, I don't like it when threads become personal attacks, on anyone.

modus operandi? I've only done it twice in six years, and I would do it again if
    a thread starts going out of control and I have the nuke.

There were things said that I just am not willing to argue, I wanted to talk blues
    and I'm put in a position of being called a cheat and a non musician, I can't edit that out and I don't want the world reading that untrue stuff. I do believe most people
    understand the guy was baiting me, but I have friends reading this and students and my son, and besides it just isn't cool. It only took one person to write those things that caused me to delete but I don't want my son reading what a jerk says about his dad..

And No I don't like the attention, not this kind.

Russ, I've had enough, please, you had your say.

19. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Member

Young folks do dumb ****... I know I did. Things like running over all the stops signs in town... I mean really, why? I didn't do that but a friend did. I did equally stupid things for reasons to this day I still don't understand.

The problem is, kids like this also play guitar. They also hang out on forums like this. So if you expect a discussion of any kind to go smooth, you could be in for a rough ride. The more discuss able a topic, the higher the likelihood of said "dumb ****". If you start it, get ready for it.

Cliff I took no exception with your thread and fully agree with this one. Nobody needs agreement, but everybody needs decency and civility. Just be cool, don't rip on somebody's person. You only look bad in doing so.

20. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I'm cool, no ripping from me.
    I sure Scott Peterson is thinking I'm being cool, compared to how I would have reacted two yrs ago.

I like TGP and I do see it as a PRIVILEGE not a right. I respect the offer to post here.

Some may say that I was in a heated arguement with JonR, not at all, Jon and I go way back, I turned him on to Kimock and I suggested he check out TGP. The guy knows how to handle a debate and never goes below the belt. And he has his own views that he will defend civily.
    I think we all could learn from his behavior. (those that need to learn it that is)