CJOD -> Timmy -> Fuchs ODS clip -- Gary Moore / The Loner

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Deaj, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

This is my USACG homebrew strat, Fralin Unbucker bridge P/u --> Clay Jones OD --> Timmy OD --> DLS EchoTAP --> Fuchs ODS50SLX 1x12 combo <-- SM57

The amps master volume is set low enough so as to not disrupt my wife and son reading aloud in the next room - low volume recording.

I just recently got the Timmy and I'm still messing with it. I don't like the overdrive by itself but it's fun as a lead boost stacked after the CJOD.

The playing is really sloppy but the tone seemed cool :)

CJOD-Timmy-Fuchs - The Loner

Wadaya think?

2. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I felt it! Alright, Janice!

VERY cool sounds... will you come over soon and bringen-zee Futches? :D I wanna try having you record sumpin' for me after hearing this... um... not that I didn't want you to record BEFORE I heard this... ah never mind.

Timmy... tim... Tim-i-ya'll.

3. gsozz

gsozz Member

Screems like Gary Moore:dude

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

Indeed! I'm warming up to the Timmy fast.

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks!

I'll bring my rig over next time and try not to murder your track like I did with this :D

Timm-mmay
    [​IMG]

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

As ive mentioned loadsa times here, my countryman gary moore is one of my absolute idols and i looked forward to hearing you play it.

i dont think your playing was as sloppy as you made it out to be at all , you commendably saved some outta tune notes by slightly bending em into tune and aint that what live music is all about.

i closed my eyes waiting for the 1st phrase and I felt the tone sounded small , moores first phrase has all that weight behind it and you could literally see those low strings vibrate, the clip makes that phrase sound very small.

you played it with a heartfelt touch , you saved ouuta tune notes most commendably and I think you certainly got the vibe just right.

only negative I could find with it was that your recording or the gear you were using produced a small sounding guitar tone, listen to moore intro to solo "all your lovin" from still got the blues album , there is a solo tone that sounds explosive, similar to those jawdropping tones he gets on the loner.

i loved your playing and i thank you for a most enjoyable 4 mins of bee yootiful music dude, do keep the tracks coming, id like to hear em.

jimmy

7. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Playing is great. I think somehow the recorded tone is a little on the thin side. I have 3 examples of takes I did a year ago over this backing which I think have a thicker tone, but not as good playing as yours.

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the complimentary feedback on the playing! :) I used to play along with this tune from time to time years ago. I love Gary's phrasing on this track - very soulful and expressive. This is a one take attempt to play it from memory so I fought the strings quite a bit trying to get where I needed to be.

I definitely agree with your comments about the tone being 'small'. I'm relagated to low volume recording at home most of the time. This one was recorded low enough to talk over on the same room. It was also a quick mic placement (though I think the mic is in a good spot to capture the desired tone). Part of what is lacking is any kind of sound pressure at the mic. Also there's a drop in low frequency content at this volume that leaves it sounding thin (less body).

I'll take another crack at this when I have the house to myself and I can turn it up. If the results are substantially better I'll post a clip.

Thanks again for the kind feedback!

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hi Ted,

Thanks! I agree, the tone is lacking body and doesn't breathe as recorded. I'll try this again when I can play above conversation volume and post another clip :)

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

hey, no sweat bro :cool:

jimmy

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Not to discredit anyone's opinion here but I think the above comments in regard to the thin guitar tone should be kept clearly in context with the fact that this clip was recorded at very low volume levels. And as we all know even the best master volume amps on earth still sound best when you put the pedal to the metal so to speak. Deaj, I think the clip was shweeeet!! And considering the volume level I think the tone was killer too! Listening to you and a ScotL's clips are what pushed me overboard and made me pull the trigger on my ODS30SLX and I LOVE that amp. I know how good they sound live so I know what you were hearing when recording that clip sounded way bigger than the final product. Keep up the killer clips bro.;)

Steve

12. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks Steve! :)

13. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very cool rkstarr! Nice tone too! I enjoyed it - thanks for posting it. :)

15. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

hah!..you play just like gary!!

16. Deaj

Deaj Member

What a great compliment - thank you!

17. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

tOnegOd said:

I'm guessing I'm the only one laughing right now, but that's because I've been on a blind date!

Very funny!

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

We've got chemistry here! Ya feel it? :D