1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

CJOD vs. Xotic BB preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Sep 27, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

Can someone compare and contrast these two pedals. I know I will never get a chance to play a CJOD, but I have heard the BB preamp is similiar in some aspects and would just like to hear a comparison to know what the CJOD sounds like.

2. Sid

Sid Member

from the few soundclips i heard...i dont think the bb preamp is similar at all....;)

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

No contest. The CJOD is in a class of its own. The BB has neither the gain range, or amp like feel of the CJ. Ive owned both at the same time, so Im fairly familiar with their tones. I did not like the BB for my style. Not enough gain. I felt the AC boost had more gain. Maybe i had a bad one, but it did not last long here.

4. Frosty

Frosty Member

I have had both. The CJOD is mo' better in every aspect. The BB is nice, but it is like comparing a Ferrari to a chevy.

5. sssmile

sssmile Member

frosty, explain why? I mean what makes it better, do they cover similiar territory and the cjod just does it better? make me understand :BEER

6. stratneck

stratneck Member

In my opinion, the CJ is in a class by itself, just so, the nails
    So many sounds,and then , people ,staring to make comparisons
    OH! this pedal, sounds like the CJ, this one too ,that one too,
    So,I think what happens, is this.That particular pedal, at say,
    this settings,sounds like the CJ ( Happened to me w' the Cactus Crunch)
    But once you moved those settings you got What?? the BB, or the CC
    or whatever the pedal was meant to be.
    I have a CJ, and that pedal replaced .Are you ready for this??
    TIM,ETERNITY,ZEN,COT 50, BLUE BOY DLXE,MENATONE.
    So ,I hope it help,and what Guitarman1 said, is right on the money.

7. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

The only way to understand the CJOD is to play one. Its that versatile and tonefull. The fatness and mojo is unsurpassed. As stratneck said. It covers them all!

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I don't really see them as similar. The CJOD is a pretty unique overdrive in it's amplike feel and sound.

9. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I'll have to say that if I had to choose to keep just one OD pedal I'd pick the CJOD though it wouldn't be an easy choice. The other drive pedals I'm using are just as musical each in its own way. I'd keep the CJOD because its the best natural fit for my technique. I'm able to utilize this pedals expressive strengths more effectively and effortlessly than the others and it seems to work very well in front of a wide variety of amps.

This is splitting hairs though. If the coice was made for me I'd be happy with any one of them. There are so many great OD pedals available today that everyone should be able to find one that fits just right.

FWIW - I didn't care much for the Xotic pedals and found no crossover between the BB and the CJOD. There's obviously something to the Xotic stuff - lots of players dig them. They just didn't fit me.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Apples and oranges comparison. These pedals aren't competing.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I hope that CJOD owners will say that the CJOD is a class above, the best etc, since that pedal only costs from 400-700 -for an op amp type circuit!

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

no offense, maybe I am misunderstood you. Are you saying that because the CJOD has a op amp type circuit, and cost's a lot it is "the best"?? we all know tone is subjective as there are many pro's usin boss etc. however I am for anything that can help a player acheive "his or "her" sound. really
    though, I don't think there is a best, just whatever works!!:AOK

13. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Where can I get a CJOD for under $700??

14. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

The BB has more gain than the AC. But the gain structure of the two is different, too. Perhaps yours was bad or perhaps the AC gain structure is simply more to your liking.

15. landru64

landru64 Member

i haven't tried the BB but in my experience the AC and RC pedals have nowhere near the touch sensitivity and nuance that the CJOD has.

16. Frosty

Frosty Member

I am not good at describing pedals. The CJOD just makes everything sound huge and it seems to come alive with a fat , juicy, warmth that makes single notes bloom and sustain and sing. How do you describe magic? I have never heard anything that compares and I have gone through a lot of high-end overdrives.

17. Don L

Don L Member

I could probably make close to 1K or more if I sell my SN #1 CJOD on ebay, but I don't because I can't replace it with any other pedal. LDO is the closest, but not exactly the same, and I have the LDO as my backup on my pedalboard. Should have bought the #2 when it came up for sale recently...

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

frosty, how? Get a great tube amp, plus it will do more and record better than any pedal could hope to do

19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I agree.
    I had a CJOD briefly, it was a nice pedal, but sold it fairly quickly. I played a BB once, and didn't like it as much, but wouldn't say it's better or worse, just different. I won't dispute the reviews others are giving it (The CJOD), but don't get hung up on getting one just because someone else says it's the best. IMO your money is better spent putting it towards a great amp...surely a great amp will be more "amp like"! There's a lot of great OD's being made that are readily available.

20. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Agreed! I am sure the CJOD is a great pedal, but the fact of the matter is that if it was still in production, you might see just as many CJODs for sale as you see BB preamps for sale. It all depends on someone's personal taste. What works for some will not work for all. I personally have the BB and have heard clips of the CJOD. I think they are both amazing pedals but are going for completely different sounds. In a very general way I would say the gain structure of the two pedals would be:

BB Preamp-Marshall-like

CJOD-Dumble-like

I do feel a good smooth, low to medium gain overdrive,(like the new AC booster, etc.) and a good compressor like the Diamond Compressor or a Demeter can get you a sound very similar to the CJOD.