1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Cl80 or Mesa MC90 in closed back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by remocity, May 8, 2008.

1. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Anyone have any experience with a classic lead 80 or mc90 in a closed back cabinet?
    I'm thinking about a 4x12 with a mix of v30's and mc90's
    I know mesa makes a 4x12 with a 3/4 back that encloses the v30's and allows the mc90's to be in the open side.
    I'm intersted in a totally closed cabinet and the effect on the mc90's.
    Thanks for you help.

2. mike80

mike80 Member

I used to have a Recto cab that I swapped 2 of the V30s out for MC90s. I liked the sound of it, and I've heard of others who did the same and liked it. It's a nice punchy sound, without a lot of the harsh mids of the V30s. Where 4 MC90s in a closed back cab will be scooped, and 4 V30s in a cab are very middy, 2 of each is just about perfect IMO.

3. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Member

another vote for the swap.

just give it a try and if you dont like it swap em back:AOK

4. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

First and only bump..............more info?

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Never mixed MC90's with V30's but I have CL80's and I liked the result. I have a 212 closed back cab with 2 CL80's, a 112 closed back with CL80, and a metal grill mesa 412 with 2 MC90's in the top (both parts are sealed). The MC90's and CL80's work in closed back cabs IMO.

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I love the MC90 in a Port City OS1x12. It sounds phenomenal with my Express Clone and MKIII Green Stripe.