Clapton at Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jaimoe, May 4, 2015.

1. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

Anyone here go to the show?

I thought the setlist was very strange and it was repeated verbatim on Sunday. Clapton seemed most interested when dueling with Derek Trucks on Let in Rain.

No mention of Jack Bruce. Sure would have been appropriate for him to say this is one for my dear friend Jack and than launch into White Room, Sunshine etc.

I know he's 70 and honor him for his influence on me and everyone else here. This post is specifically about the MSG shows.

Interested in hearing more from others who were there.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Wasn't at this specific show but saved up to pay a 3-digit ticket way up high (believe it or not) to see one of my guitar heroes and left quite underwhelmed.

He was aloof, uninterested, plowed through the setlist in a way that suggested he was bored and said "Hello" to the audience at the beginning. That's it. No passion, no fire, no great solos either. Just garbage the whole evening long.

The warm-up band was Robert Randolph. He was more entertaining but I never warmed up to the tone or the whole lapsteel gimmick. Plus, the drummer said in a mic at the end of their set that they're leaving because he has to take a ****. Classy.

I still love Clapton like crazy but I'll never pay to see him again. I get the feeling the really good stuff has been captured on video/audio anyway, so I can get some good stuff whenever I want without paying a ridiculous amount of money to sit far and see a bored artist phoning it in and pocketing my hard-earned money.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I too love Clapton, but I paid to see him maybe 3 years ago in Seattle and came away feeling the same... very "Meh.."
    The late 90's were his pinnacle maybe, he still used the big band, backup singers etc and it was a helluva show. He's still capable, but just seems to be doing a bunch of not very exciting stuff now.... and seemed less than inspired to me also. Too bad.

4. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Saw both shows at MSG

Agree with song selection -- pretty much a cross section of his solo stuff with very little before then. Really hopped around

His playing was pretty inconsistent -- seemed clear he only really engaged when Jimmie V and Derek/Doyle were out with him pushing things (except maybe for I Shot the Sheriff, which has become the big guitar solo slot in his shows). No doubt Let It Rain with Derek and Doyle was highlight of show Friday, and he used it to close the set Sunday but cut it a lot shorter.

Watching him for a long time -- never want to read someone else's mind but he doesn't act like someone who gets a lot out of performing for an audience anymore. Still a great craftsman, a much better singer than when he started, but would no longer be surprised if he did stop touring or only did it really occasionally. 50 years is a long time to be gigging no matter how nice the hotel

5. Loudguitar

Loudguitar Member

I saw him a couple of years ago in Atlanta. Great band, but he has devolved into a band leader. No songs from the early 90s (Bad Love, Pretending). It is almost like he tries not to play. Very watery show.