Clapton: Better with Gibson or Fender?

Clapton: Gibson or Fender

• Gibson

• Fender

Results are only viewable after voting.

Steve73

I think the Gibson tone is more iconic but it doesn't matter to me what guitar he's playing, it's gonna be great whatever he plays.

ReidS

I love his sound with both,but not the sound of his EC signature Strat as much,wish he would get a nice vintage Strat to play,i think he can afford it:)
He should play Les Pauls more to,he still sounds great on them.
here is a great video of Eric playing a Strat with Jools Hollands Big Band doing some Robert Johnson
Stop Breaking Down/Little Queen Of Spades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQiKfE_GoI&feature=related

Eric Playing a Les Paul
I'm Tore Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM

Eric on his red 335 live at the Fillmore West with a absolute killer version of
Have You Ever Loved A Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMiR-M6CPws

A downright dirty tone on his 335 with Jools Holland
Reconsider Baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMiR-M6CPws

Last edited:

Cream

Not The Brightest Member
Silver Supporting Member
I think he plays with more fire on Gibsons and with more lyricism on Strats. He's managed to make both sound great.

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
I wish he would just pull out some old tones from his cream days and stay with the strat. I guess his buddies in the Formula 1 Racing scene wouldnt consider that refined. Just like Keef, I miss the old dude who was just a musician.

I'd say his best tone for his style was the late 80's. The flanger gave him the added emotional girth he needed, and the dynamics of the Fender over the Gibson balanced perfectly.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd say his best tone for his style was the late 80's. The flanger gave him the added emotional girth he needed, and the dynamics of the Fender over the Gibson balanced perfectly.

I'm with ya.
24 Nights was near perfect. He ran the gamut of Cream, pop, blues tones, blind faith, you name it. Nailed it all. amazing for sure.

Lace sensor strat, soldanos, small rack.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
I'm surprised that many people voted for Fender. Normally I'm a strat guy, but with Clapton it's Gibson all the way. He became Craptone when he switched to Fender.

Matt L

His red ES-335 is my favorite sounding guitar of his. When I see him holding that one, I know my hair is gonna stand up at some point.

sixty2strat

After reading the EC was here thread and watching the blind faith DVD. No sure it So much Gibson vs Fender but Marshall vs Fender/music man soldano

Hawking

^^^ yeah that may be the reason there is such a distinct line in the sand for his sound over the years. As a lot of people will tell you, the amp may be the most important factor in guitar tone

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite is lace sensor strat into dual Soldano SLO's...

I agree with Mike. I loved the Journeyman era and after too. The great thing is he went between the Gibsons and Fenders for the blues albums after Journeyman. I am a huge EC fan and he is part of why I play guitar today.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
I think he sounds less cliche with Gibsons...also, I wish when he played w/ Gibsons when he played with Marcus Miller/Steve Gadd etc...his strat didn't really fit

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I like both. This has always been one of my favorite EC Strat moments.

Always one of my favorites he's done.

I like his Strat playing just fine.

The 335 is a special thing too when he wields it.
Don't think I would want him to just play one or the other, heck I don't either.

dallasblues

Whichever guitar-amp combo it is, I like him better when it's not so over-processed sounding. His Gibson/Marshall sound was thick... and well... womanly sounding. His Strat days with Derek And The Dominoes (and shortly thereafter) were clear and precise. Sometime in the 80's and beyond, his tone became too complex and effect oriented for my taste. Even today, his Strat sound is far from being a Strat sound, to my ears at least. The chops are still there though. The guy can still play it, and still sounds like EC!

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Sorry,but that Clapton Strat tone on the video was wimpy, just like all Strats. It's like the difference between Paulaner Premium Lager, and their Octoberfest lager(fermented half as long). It just "tastes" unfinished.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom