Clapton - Cream Sound Into Clean Amp

deeval

Gold Supporting Member
The way I use to get mine,was with my Rivera Fender Concert and a Celestion GB and a Vox Tone Bender,with my LP gets you to that tone,But be ready to replace speaker after awhile cause it will blow,but Hey you want the tone its just Money!!

muddy

for "cream" era, an sg w/hb's into a cot50 turned up past 3; worked for me, anyway. AND, oddly enough, a love p karl for clapton's leads with a bit o' grit. seriously. but it really has less to do with that, & more to do with you & your hands/fingers.

ml.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
My Frantone The Sweet fuzz pedal into the clean crunch side of my Mesa Stiletto Ace gets this sound. I use the neck humbucker on my Les Paul or SG, and I can nail "SWLABR."

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
Which tone? Are we talkin' "Spoonful" or maybe "Strange Brew". To me they sound radically different. "Strangebrew" sounds like a kazoo or something.

Mr. Kite

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have the chops under my fingers(practicing like mad though) but I can get close to the tone with the Zvex Box of rock.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Some of the Cream stuff sounds horrible to me. I agree that Strange Brew and others like it is not a good sound at all.

For something like Crossroads, a Keeley BD2 would be in the ballpark. Maybe some of the new Boss/Fender pedals too. The bassman should get you in the neighborhood as well.

gregory49

sunlion will most def do it. I have a newer BBB that i got from Destroy all Guitars, I highly recomend its extremely versatile.

monstermike

The best I've heard at that kind of sound are the Barber Small Fry, the OCD, and a Menatone pedal I heard at a jam - Tele, Menatone, and a solid state Fender! I think it was the Workingman's Blue, but I'm not sure.

M

Wooley

Some of the Cream stuff sounds horrible to me. I agree that Strange Brew and others like it is not a good sound at all.
And just to case the dissenting vote, I searched for years to get the Strange Brew sound, which I feel is one of the best lead guitar tones of all time. Different Strokes.

That said, you can get pretty good classic Cream tone with a vintage-style fuzz (I use a Germanium-based) into a Rangemaster clone (of which there are many). I use a Foxrox CC2 Fuzzfoot with Analogman NKT-275 fuzz-card, or a Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz into an Analogman Beano Boost. Getting the Sunlion would take up a hell of a lot less space.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
AM KOT
Cactus Crunch

I recall Harry J's OD shootout clips had that vibe

Buddy Boy

Strange Brew,Sunshine,Born Under a Bad Sign contain, imho, some of the best tones ever. Absolute worship of Albert King.:BluesBros

chrisr0712

Spoonful...Steppin Out are a couple of holy grail tones I've always been after. My problem is I love the Tele and clean amps.
You can get kinda close with a low gain od fed by a fuzz...Germainum works really well...and also roll the tone on the guitar back to take off the bright attack.

The sound clips of the Jetter Gain Stage Blue and Black are very promising and probably the best approach!

muddy

the menaT wm'sb is an awesome od! it's scary how close it gets to those 60's jtm's & plexis. i think it's one of his best peds.

ml

Trending Topics