Clapton, man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenB123

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I think about giving him and his music another chance, he takes a life detour that makes me pump the brakes. He is a great musician and songwriter, but I can't fathom dropping another farthing into his pocket. An anti-lockdown song? Yeah, nah. Pass.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/11/clapton-van-morrisons-anti-lockdown-song-stand-and-deliver.html
So I guess the moral of the story is only listen to artists that write songs that you agree with. I have an idea, let's burn his cds!

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Clapton hit his peak in the mid to late sixties.

Beck just keeps getting better and more diverse.

Beck is the anti-Clapton.

Clearly a confused guy.

"For some, the announcement called to mind (or, sadly, introduced fans to) the extremely racist comments Clapton made during a 1976 Birmingham concert, comments that helped inspire Britain’s Rock Against Racism movement that same year. “Stop Britain from becoming a Black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out,” Clapton told the crowd, according to the Daily Beast. “Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope. Now I’m into racism.”

In 2018, the musician expressed regret for his “chauvinistic” comments at a Q&A following a London screening of Lili Zanuck’s bio-doc Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars. Said a “disgusted” Clapton, “I was so ashamed of who I was, a kind of semi-racist, which didn’t make sense. Half of my friends were Black, I dated a Black woman, and I championed Black music.” The singer blamed his past comments on addiction and a deep self-loathing. Said Clapton, “I sabotaged everything I got involved with.”

Still I agree- For 3 or years he was on fire- Beano thru Cream- by the time he picked up a strat it was all downhill for him.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
So I guess the moral of the story is only listen to artists that write songs that you agree with. I have an idea, let's burn his cds!
Are you willing to distinguish between "watch/listen to" and "support financially?"

For example, I'll watch and listen to the Washington Football Team still but I will no longer put a ha'penny into Danny Boy's pocket.

This approach works for me with imbecilic famous musicians, too.

jackaroo

He’s been on the wrong side of history a few times in the past. He is a very talented man in both music, business and art. Great vibrato....

Obviously he was a junkie and a drunk for decades...so he acted like an ass when he was high and attributes some of his past wipeouts and pr blunders with his lack of sobriety. The problem is he’s been clean for a while now, and this?

You’d think “team clapton” might have presented the fact that this song might rub some people the wrong way, and unintentionally align him with politi views he may not actually have....even if he thinks that not shutting down is a good idea

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Are you willing to distinguish between "watch/listen to" and "support financially?"

For example, I'll watch and listen to the Washington Football Team still but I will no longer put a ha'penny into Danny Boy's pocket.

This approach works for me with imbecilic famous musicians, too.
haha - come on now, you can’t be equating Danny with Eric?!?

i know what you mean though

Davepitt11

Thanks for posting this (science, ethics, and intelligence matter to me, too).
While there are certainly people who are against the lockdowns who don't know much about science, I think it's overly simplistic to say "If you are against lockdowns you don't believe in science." Sweden and to an extent South Korea both had strategies that were different than the "lockdown approach". South Korea was unquestionably successful (and had many other parts to it and it wasn't just "don't do anything"). Sweden did better than some lockdown countries and worse than others.

I find the "You are against science!!!!!" argument to be a non-argument used to just stifle anything that isn't the party line. While I'm generally "pro lockdown", I'd be foolish and wrong to think that there may have been other ways to deal with it, and that maybe there's a whole more grey in the issue.

My trust in either Clapton or Morrison seeing the grey isn't high, but I certainly wouldn't stop listening to either of them because of their stance.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
I’m willing to listen to the song or read the lyrics before passing judgment. A lot of musicians have really suffered during the pandemic, and need help. We’ve got to figure out how to do it safely. I love all the internet broadcasts/streaming concerts.

Last edited:

Jmdo7620

While there are certainly people who are against the lockdowns who don't know much about science, I think it's overly simplistic to say "If you are against lockdowns you don't believe in science." Sweden and to an extent South Korea both had strategies that were different than the "lockdown approach". South Korea was unquestionably successful (and had many other parts to it and it wasn't just "don't do anything"). Sweden did better than some lockdown countries and worse than others.

I find the "You are against science!!!!!" argument to be a non-argument used to just stifle anything that isn't the party line. While I'm generally "pro lockdown", I'd be foolish and wrong to think that there may have been other ways to deal with it, and that maybe there's a whole more grey in the issue.

My trust in either Clapton or Morrison seeing the grey isn't high, but I certainly wouldn't stop listening to either of them because of their stance.
I am from Argentina. Google us. We had the longest lockdown in history, enforced by the police. COVID numbers were down. After 3 months thousands of small businesses closed, jobs were lost. Poor people starved and lockdown was broken no matter what because people needed to eat first.
The GDP fell down more than any other country in the world. Result: people is materially and psychologically broken and will not go back in. After that the virus resume its progress and we have one of the biggest ratios of deaths per million for COVID reasons in the world. I got it like three weeks ago (i am fine, it was like a light flu for me). Scary though
Lockdown is a short term emergency strategy and should be applied only in a very limited way in terms of time and location. I was pro lockdown and i did it for months and results turned up to be so awful on so many levels. My experience is that the remedy could be worst than the desease.
I would have declared lockdown only to prepare my sanitary system, then test like crazy, protect the elders, lockdown only when things are out of control for limited times. Keep the economy rolling. Use masks, social distancing and all the logical preventive measures.
I think Eric and Van are only trying to protect the music industry. Theaters, promoters and musicians might not be there after this whole madness ends. We need to find a out a way to keep things going.

Last edited:

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Song was released to fund a charity for musicians who have no income due to covid shutdowns. I think anti-lockdown in this case is a misunderstanding and perhaps poor headline writing. This isn't a call to rise up against the state if MI so we can go to Big Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics