Clapton Strat Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitkrazy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I recently picked up a 2009 Clapton Strat. I love the guitar and it is the first TBX Mid boost strat I have owned. It takes a little getting used too but it is capable of getting some great sounds. I have noticed that the neck & Middle pups (the previous owner replaced the stock VN pups with Custom shop 69 in the neck & Fat 50's in mid & brdg) With the TBX knob set at 5 (before the TBX is engaged) my sound is really bassy (almost sounds like a blanket over my amp), but once I turn it past 5 it really cleans up & is beautiful. Is it like that with the stock Claptons? Also how often should I change the battery? The previous owner said he put a fresh one in when I got it last week, but it was shipped & the weather was a little cold don't know how good the battery is. Just wondering how often you guys change them

2. sugardo

sugardo Member

I don't understand why you purchased this model if you don't care about the mid-range boost. If you want a plain old Strat, get a plain old Strat. If you want a "Strat on steroids" you just purchased it.

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Battery should last well over a year.

4. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

I change the battery about once a year. But bear in mind, if you leave it plugged in the battery will wear down really fast. Always unplug the guitar when not in use.

5. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Well those noiseless pups come stock in that model for a reason. Perhaps the problem is the c.s. pickups. I've never heard of someone running that circuit with anything other than the vintage noiseless, or the lace sensors from the Buddy Guy model.

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

When the battery starts to go out in a Clapton, it starts to sould raspy even with the TBX turned down, and almost sounds like your amp has blown a speaker. It freaked me out the first time I heard it, and I really thought I was going to have to replace the speaker in my amp. After I realized what it was, I found it a good way to tell when the battery was on it's last legs. I always carried a spare battery and a screwdriver to remove the back-plate. As far as your pickup issue, my recommendation would be to pull the CS pickups, sell them, and buy 3 gold Lace Sensors. The Lace Sensors always sounded great with the mid-boost circuit, and was what the circuit was originally designed for. I personally think that the early Claptons with the Lace Sensors sound the best.

7. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I used the Clapton this weekend & it sounded great! I love the TBX & Midboost! The replacement pickups are really good (But I would still like to hear the stock pickups) But thats what you get buying used. All in all the guitar is great! I did replace the battery because I was at practice and noticed first my volume seemed to drop then the same symptoms as itstooloudMike posted. I think I am going to look for Lace Golds to try later on

8. b3john

b3john Member

The USA Sambora Strat had the Hot Noiseless with that same midboost circuit, but wired so the active boost could be switched out to a normal passive circuit.