Clapton

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SFW, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SFW

SFW Member

I've listened to Eric Clapton since I was a kid. He was always around in some capacity on the radio. However, there were always other players that captured my attention... like Vai, Moore, Lynch, Eric Johnson, etc... Here in the past few weeks I have been listening to a lot of Clapton, and realizing that I was really missing out by not taking more notice of him. I especially like his 80s work... which might not be his most popular. Anyway.. Here's to the guy who in on way or another has influenced us all!

2. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Where do I start..."Have You Heard",from the "Beano" John Mayall lp,"Crossroads" goes without saying. "Sleepy Time Time" from "Live Cream", "Steppin' Out" from "Live Cream Vol 2", Blind Faith..DB&F, all the DATD stuff, live and in the studio...jeez...and THEN all the solo stuff...gotta go load up the IPod now....

3. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Every rule has an exception.. that is me.
    Clapton does nothing for me.. except... well.. the Blues Breakers album.

He should have hung it up after that one.. (actually he did... he never did do a serious blues album after that.. )

4. djg714

djg714 Member

5. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'm not a staunch Clapton fan ... and some of his stuff I find a bit bland ... but Riding With The King with BB King is one of my all time favourite albums and has some fantastic playing and tone from EC on it.

7. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I'm just like you SFW. I grew up scoffing at Clapton as a has been. The Journeyman album changed my mind. Not only did change my mind but it completely changed my approach to the guitar and music. I actually perfer his 90's Journeyman period to his Cream material. SACRILEGE! hahaha!

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

First of all, Thank God he did not. Second, you must not have followed his career if you think the Beano album was his last blues album. From the Cradle, Riding with the King, Me and Mr. Johnson, and so on, the guy has always held strong with the blues.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

death, taxes and people here dumping on Clapton. I tend to agree that the 80's and 90's stuff is criminally underrated.

10. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

:agree some of my favorite later albums have been Reptile and Back Home,

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

I remember the day that I first bought Beano. It was a beautiful summer day in 1967. I met a few friends and we went into NYC. In a record shop on 8th St., one of my friends recommended the John Mayall album with EC. I had never heard of him before. Eric has been my favorite guitarist since that day. I wore out a couple of vinyl copies.

I've followed him from Mayall to Cream to Blind Faith to Delanie & Bonnie and Friends to Derek and the Dominos to his solo career. He is still my favorite. I've seen him twice with Cream, and several times solo and never been disappointed.

12. shg

shg Senior Member

Nuf said.

13. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

Um, "From The Cradle"!:huh

14. facesfan

facesfan Member

My favorite Clapton period is the post Cream,especially Blind Faith,On Tour with Delaney and Bonnie (listen to Delaney sing and it's pretty obvious he had a huge effect on Clapton's vocals) ,first solo,Derek and the Dominos,461 Ocean Blvd.,There's One In Every Crowd,No Reason To Cry,E.C. Was Here. Slowhand,and Backless were OK and then I lost track of him for awhile. He's matured so gracefully and speaks volumes whenever he plays and sings now....the master.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Ya don't "get" Clapton? Well, your chronology of the instrument is truly outta whack!
    I'm not saying EC has to be your fave player, but it's important to understand what he's brought and what he means.
    Geez, he changed so much.

16. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

This is the beauty of Clapton... look at the huge variety of tastes that are drawn to different parts of his work. Clapton is one of those few artists that will draw comments from young and old, purveyors of blues, pop, rock, country, reggae, etc..., people who love him, and people who say "he does nothing for me... except... "

There are probably those few who just don't like anything he's done, and those opinions are valued as well, but just look at the wide range of his work from Yardbirds, to John Mayall, to Cream, to Blind Faith, to Derek & the Dominos, to Bonnie & Delaney & Friends, to his work on George Harrison and Beatles stuff, and of course his solo career (which includes a few movie soundtracks as well!!)... and one MUST mention the Crossroads Festivals.

I, for one, do like his work, start to present, because he has always been about the music... about the song... not about what will make him more popular. Not a screaming guitar solo, or a burning shred riff, or overpowering layered guitars.... just simple formulae, mixing real instruments played at mortal speed and combined with great vocals (both his and the wonderful backup singers he's had over the years). Good music. Period. Sure he's a blues player at heart. He did some wonderful blues albums... "From the Cradle" = one of the best ever... but he also interlaced blues with pretty much every other form of music.

Like facesfan, there are periods of his career when I think his playing and tone was at his best and periods when he was not. My favorite were some of the great clean tones he got on "Another Ticket"... "Blow Wind Blow" and "Floating Bridge" are my benchmark clean tones... LOVE it! Most everyone notes his dark, grinding, 'bucker tones w/ Mayall and Cream... but I like the fat clean stuff best.

17. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

18. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Clapton blows all the other rock era guitarists away. Not just because of his guitar skills, but because he was the FIRST of them.
    He is the guy that, well before all the others, decided to learn everything about blues he could and apply it to popular music.
    He singlehandedly did more for the blues than anyone has.
    Two of the most amazing things about him is that he never needed stage theatrics and all that crap to draw attention to himself, and it mostly seemed like he tried to be anonymous.
    He backed away from the "guitar hero" crap and to a greater degree rejected it and tried to keep it about the music.
    His solo albums are fantastic.
    Theres One In Every Crowd is one of the best unsung albums in existence.
    He has two songs that are pure genius, one is called "High" and the other is called "Opposites". GREAT songs. "High" has some of the best lyrics and one of the most tasteful guitar hooks around. Check them out.
    Also, the guy always chose musicians that were always the perfect choice for his songs. Particularly drummers and bass players.

19. jbert

jbert Member

what about the 'fro ?!

20. KPO

KPO Member

I saw him last year with Steve Winwood backed up by Steve Gadd, Willie Weeks and Chris Stainton; WOW!!
    Great band, great songs, great blues guitar playing!!
    Like all the great bluesplayers Clapton has his own vocabulary, it's not about technique it's about emotion!!