• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Clapton's guitars on Derek and the Dominos-Fillmore East

rongtr1

I was listening to this today-one of my favorite live albums! Thru the Dominos period he was playing Brownie (his 56 Strat) and I believe a Black Les Paul Custom (could be wrong on the model). There are definitely tones on this album that sound really close to that Cream Gibson thru Marshall tone. So does anybody know if he used just the strat on this album, or a combination of the Strat or Les Paul? If this has been covered in another thread, I apologize. Thanks!

gkoelling

I saw them on that tour in Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre. I don't recall him using anything other than the Strat. However, I don't recall much from back then.:bong

Fingers

I was at the Fillmore East gig recorded for that album; Strat was the only guitar, but even at the concert I thought some of the sounds were not that different from a Les Paul. So there ya go.

straycat113

Yep- Just Brownie on that album. For everyone that says Clapton peaked after Cream my favorite album and playing of his was on the Layla album. I remember spending over a year just learning the fills on the songs which are some of the most tasteful playing you will here. If he would of sold Blackie first Brownie would of sold for over a million.

gmann

There are pics of the Dominoes taken early on in a London club that show him using the LP Custom.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Always thought it was 100% Brownie, but I never knew about the Sunn. Interesting find.

gkoelling

Yep- Just Brownie on that album. For everyone that says Clapton peaked after Cream my favorite album and playing of his was on the Layla album. I remember spending over a year just learning the fills on the songs which are some of the most tasteful playing you will here. If he would of sold Blackie first Brownie would of sold for over a million.
Layla should be in every guitar players collection.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Is that the era when he managed tone with a wah pedal... Always on?

I saw Derek and the Dominos at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. Brownie was the only guitar E.C. played that night. I agree that some of the guitar on the "Live at the Fillmore" album doesn't sound Strat like to me. I think the question is what amp was he using? The early gigs in England prior to the recording of Layla he seems to have favored a Fender Showman much like he played with Delaney and Bonnie. Although I have no personal recollection I do remember hearing that he used Marshall amps on the American tour. Sunn Coliseum amps seem an unlikely choice to me although I do seem to recall a picture showing one on stage.

mdrake34

Clapton played through Marshalls when the Dominos played in Miami, but they said he didn't crank them like he did with Cream, he played them much more quietly.

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
I think it's a solid state Sunn Colisseum on the live album. I've yet to hear a Marshall or a Dual Showman sound like his tone on that record!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom