• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Clapton's guitars on Derek and the Dominos-Fillmore East

Eric Clapton played a Les Paul Custom on gigs with Delaney and Bonnie & Friends as well. I believe this photo is from one of the band's early English club dates. I remember this picture along with another showing Eric playing what looked like a TV Yellow Les Paul Special from the original LAYLA music book.

DoctorBob

pretty sure the sound on the recordings is with him with a wah-wah half clicked on for some reason, I guess as a tone shaper. When I saw him in StLouis he played Brownie but without that nasal tone. He broke a string mid some song 's lead and still played the whole solo beautifully.Definitely peaked in that era;no-one IMHO has been or is better: phrasing, vibrato,timing, clever solo composition.Listen to John Mayalls Back to the Roots-song called Home Again-un fricking believable. Nowadays unfortunately his playing is very "guitaristic'--ruled by the fretboard, not ruling the fretboard as in those early years

tom_cas1

Yes, Brownie was the only guitar used at the Fillmore. But Eric used a number of guitars during the Dominos period. On the UK tour he used a Les Paul and even the ES335 on one occasion. He also used a Firebird on the US tour (both reverse and non-reverse).

As far as amps go, Fender on the UK tour and then he switched to a Marshall head and cab in the US. Then roughly halfway through the US tour he replaced the Marshall head with a Sunn Coliseum head as can be seen in photos taken at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY.

Interesting note - the photos most commonly associated with the Fillmore (live album) weren't taken at the Fillmore, but at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester.

This is a good time to mention that I"m writing a book on the band with Bobby Whitlock's backing. Details on equipment etc will be in there. Also if anyone saw the band play then please get in touch!

www.facebook.com/DominosBook

Kelsey

FWIW, the photos included with the Live at the Fillmore recording look like Brownie and a Showman amp. There is definitely a unique use of a wah as tone-shaper going on as well.

gmann

Eric Clapton played a Les Paul Custom on gigs with Delaney and Bonnie & Friends as well. I believe this photo is from one of the band's early English club dates. I remember this picture along with another showing Eric playing what looked like a TV Yellow Les Paul Special from the original LAYLA music book.

Se the pic in post # 19. You can see the special between Bobby and Eric.

Dashface

There is definitely a unique use of a wah as tone-shaper going on as well.
I can't believe how much he rides the wah all through that era. Once I realized what he was up to I thought I'd give it a try... But I've never had a wah that was good enough to let me sound that way. Every one I've ever had is too pinched. What an interesting way to do things, though. Always liked that he doesn't really use effects... Just the wah. I feel like we could learn something from that :D

Reactions: jcs

jcs

Ive got to dig out my minty vinyl of the live shows....I have a late 60's Italian Cry Baby, hmmmm...anyone know what wah Eric used on this tour?

rongtr1

Thanks for the replies-his sound definitely has a midrangey peak to it at times-could be the combination of the Sunn amp and the wah.

jimmyj

In the past when this topic came up eventually the consensus seemed to be that on those recordings at the Fillmore EC was using Brownie and the Sunn amp that Tom mentioned above which happened to have a mid boost.

darkwaters

I can't believe how much he rides the wah all through that era. Once I realized what he was up to I thought I'd give it a try... But I've never had a wah that was good enough to let me sound that way. Every one I've ever had is too pinched. What an interesting way to do things, though. Always liked that he doesn't really use effects... Just the wah. I feel like we could learn something from that :D
Yep. Pretty minimal pedalboard :

Top Bottom