Claptons Sg Sells At Auction

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DustyRhodesJr, May 19, 2015.

1. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Well, it was a guitar he really didn't play. On anything significant anyway.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Cool looking SG. Were they considered Les Pauls then? No LP on the truss rod cover.

4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

They removed the Les Paul truss rod cover in 62. It sold for less because it has a sideways vibrola! Ha!

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

His buddy Derek Trucks should have bought it.

6. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

OP - They mustah fell on hahd timeth.

Side note: if youre screen name is Dusty Rhodes Jr, shouldnt your pic be Golddust? Im sorry I dont have much to add to this thread, other than I see your profile picture popping up and it keeps making me think of Dusty and Goldy.

7. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

That's a good price for a guitar Clapton didn't like.

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

A pretty good profit for Mr Clapton. He prolly paid less than $400 for it in the 60's.

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I already have a guitar Clapton didn't like, didn't cost near as much as that SG though

10. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

When most people think of Clapton and the SG, they think of the "Fool" guitar. This ain't that.

11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

He did buy it to replace the "Fool"

12. nowgibson

nowgibson Supporting Member

Looks like it sold before and whoever bought it was reselling it? Quote from the article:
    "The guitar had previously been auctioned off by Christie’s in the Eric Clapton Guitars in Aid of the Crossroads Centre auction on June 24, 1999. It brought $34,500 at that sale, considerably higher than its $5,000-to-$7,000 estimate for the auction. Judging by the results of last week’s auction, someone paid too much for the guitar in 1999. But at least the money went to a good cause."

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

14. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

There's a huge difference between a guitar he didn't like and a guitar he's never seen.

15. Aran

Aran Member

Some people think a signature from a famous player makes their crap guitar work a million bucks, craigslist is loaded with them...

Eric owned that guitar, meaning it somehow found its way into his vast collection and found its way back out again.

16. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

You're right, he might've liked mine better :D

17. Palladio

Palladio Member

That price doesn't really surprise me. If it hadn't been owned by Clapton, it would likely have sold for $9-12K. So there was a substantial premium, even though it's not a guitar with any public history of having been played by Clapton. FWIW, I own a similar guitar and it's my favorite sounding Gibson with humbuckers I've ever played. I'd take it over any other PAF equipped guitar I've encountered, including 50's LP Standards and dot neck 335's that would sell for tons more money.

18. Palladio

Palladio Member

Unless I'm missing something, that one does have "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover. Yes they were the "new" Les Paul model, until Les pulled his endorsement deal and they became "SG's" thereafter. That's a story in itself, with lots of different explanations. The most common one I'm aware of is that Les did't like the new design and so he backed out of the endorsement. I've also heard from credible sources that it had more to do with his divorce from Mary Ford and ensuing disputes over royalty payments from Gibson. Either way, they are cool guitars!

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  19. Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson Member

It sold for less because it has a sideways vibrola! [​IMG]

20. Palladio

Palladio Member

All kidding aside, those vibrolas do indeed suck. Totally useless. The key is to put tighter springs in to lock it down, and never touch it again. What's interesting is that even locked down like that, these guitars have their own vibe. Kind of like Strat with a floating bridge, there is something going on there. I also have a '64 SG with the stop tail, and it's very different in both sound and feel from the one with the Vibrola.