• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Clara Dumble ODS clone with 4 6L6wxt.. Can I run 5881's safetly?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I like the smoother highs of the 5881 power tubes.. Can I just direct replace these from the 6l6wxt's that were in the amp? Does anyone know the voltage these ODS amps put out? Wondering about a rebias figure

Silent Sound

You certainly can't do it without a rebais, so that's one thing to consider. You're going to have to know the plate voltage to bias this thing anyway, so you might as well measure that first. If you're not comfortable with opening up an amp and taking high voltage measurements while it's running, take it to a tech. If you don't want to spend money on a tech before you even find out if it CAN work, then contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Reactions: Rod

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Thank you.. I will do that Silent Sound

phsyconoodler

I like the smoother highs of the 5881 power tubes.. Can I just direct replace these from the 6l6wxt's that were in the amp? Does anyone know the voltage these ODS amps put out? Wondering about a rebias figure
As the builder of that amp I can say that using 5881's is a bit risky considering NOS 5881's were rated at 400v max. The amp has about 450v on the plates.
Getting silky highs from the power tunes is not where it's going to happen really.
I would suggest using a better quality 6L6 tube like maybe tung sol or maybe groove tunes 6L6GE.
But a nicer preamp tube array will get you closer to the tones you want than a power tube swap.
Cheers
Keith
Clara Amps
Check out my page on facebook

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
As the builder of that amp I can say that using 5881's is a bit risky considering NOS 5881's were rated at 400v max. The amp has about 450v on the plates.
Getting silky highs from the power tunes is not where it's going to happen really.
I would suggest using a better quality 6L6 tube like maybe tung sol or maybe groove tunes 6L6GE.
But a nicer preamp tube array will get you closer to the tones you want than a power tube swap.
Cheers
Keith
Clara Amps
Check out my page on facebook
Hi Keith... Thanks for chiming in... What a great amp you built! Beautiful tones and terrific hand made quality..... Thanks so much for the suggestions concerning the tubes.....I've got some nice older preamp tubes I'll try...
Could you tell me which Dumble this amp is based on or is some of it your own design?
The front panel says "Shot of the Blues"
I was also wondering about the trim pot on the back

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Which 5881s are you considering? Some will do ok at 450V and others are risky.
I'd like ones that have a smooth top end and tight bottom end. What would be your suggestion Mike? You're the tube expert here...
I was thinking Sovteks, but I have limited knowledge of 5881's
Could JJ 6v6's be used in there as well?

Last edited:

phsyconoodler

Well the trim pot on the back controls the gain of the second channel. Feel free to turn it and see what happens. It is based loosely on the 184 circuit but has a different phase inverter and no local negative feedback. I rather like that one in particular! I would not use 6v6's in that amp. Indeed go to The Tube store. Com and check into 5881 tubes and what plate voltages they are rated for. Sovtek 5881's are not true 5881's but are really 6L6's.
CheersQUOTE="Rod, post: 20224570, member: 5218"]I'd like ones that have a smooth top end and tight bottom end. What would be your suggestion Mike? You're the tube expert here...
Could JJ 6v6's be used in there as well?[/QUOTE]

Blue Strat

I'd like ones that have a smooth top end and tight bottom end. What would be your suggestion Mike? You're the tube expert here...
Since you asked, NOS Tung Sols. Different universe from the new production items you mentioned. The Sovtek "5881s", which aren't REALLY 5881s, will handle the voltage though. JJ 6V6s are reported to handle voltages like that.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Since you asked, NOS Tung Sols. Different universe from the new production items you mentioned. The Sovtek "5881s", which aren't REALLY 5881s, will handle the voltage though. JJ 6V6s are reported to handle voltages like that.
Mike, will nos Tung Sols handle 450 volts?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks Mike, I will be in touch…, and I appreciate the advise as well

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Well the trim pot on the back controls the gain of the second channel. Feel free to turn it and see what happens. It is based loosely on the 184 circuit but has a different phase inverter and no local negative feedback. I rather like that one in particular! I would not use 6v6's in that amp. Indeed go to The Tube store. Com and check into 5881 tubes and what plate voltages they are rated for. Sovtek 5881's are not true 5881's but are really 6L6's.
CheersQUOTE="Rod, post: 20224570, member: 5218"]I'd like ones that have a smooth top end and tight bottom end. What would be your suggestion Mike? You're the tube expert here...
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your help! Much appreciated...

zenas

Anybody ever try NOS Tung Sols in a Twin Reverb?
I know they last a long time and always wondered how they'd be in a BFTR. I hear different opinions on that application.

Blue Strat

Anybody ever try NOS Tung Sols in a Twin Reverb?
I know they last a long time and always wondered how they'd be in a BFTR. I hear different opinions on that application.
I like to keep them at or below 450V but they were/are used in Brown Bassman which run close to 500V.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
[/QUOTE]
Hi Keith... I had another question for you on your Dumble head I own, the Shot of the Blues version. Is the fx loop passive? I want to run a Dumbleator in the loop

Ken Zuercher

I bought a pair of JJs new 5881 to see what they sound like. JJ rates them at 500 volts max like their 6L6s and 6V6s. Having had an old pair of Tung Sol 5881s (but they wore out awhile ago) I can say they sound noticeably different than the old ones. Compared to the JJ 6L6 they actually seem a bit brighter but a but less edgy if that makes any sense. Nice tubes but not the same sound as my memory remembers from awhile ago. At under $20 each they aren't a big investment to find out.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a pair of JJs new 5881 to see what they sound like. JJ rates them at 500 volts max like their 6L6s and 6V6s. Having had an old pair of Tung Sol 5881s (but they wore out awhile ago) I can say they sound noticeably different than the old ones. Compared to the JJ 6L6 they actually seem a bit brighter but a but less edgy if that makes any sense. Nice tubes but not the same sound as my memory remembers from awhile ago. At under $20 each they aren't a big investment to find out.
Ken thanks for the report... I'm thinking about gettin some plain old Sovtek 5881's for it or spend the $$ from Mike Kanos and spring for 4 NOS Tung sols...As much as I love JJ preamp tubes, I've never gotten the tones I was after with their power tubes

Trending Topics