Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown playing techniques

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by blindtc, Aug 20, 2008.

1. blindtc

blindtc Member

does anybody have any insight on how to get close to Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown's amazing playing style/tone? I know he always used a capo and played with his fingers....he said in an old guitar player (march of 1993) interview that he "picked with both hands" does anyone know what he means by that? is he refernig to hammer ons and pull offs?? he said it was one of his secrets.

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

yeah man i stood on the side of the stage and watched him play. mostly thumb and forefinger picking and the left hand had a life of it's own. i asked him why he played a lot of stuff without using the index finger on his left hand and he said" i've always done it that way" amazing player. great fiddle too.

3. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

You must first have the "Gatemouth Signature Guitar" made exclusively by Cort. Then all will be revealed. JK

Edit: Think that was a Murphy Sig--nevermind

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Saw Clarence in 1980 or so, really freaked me out watching him play, small club, not a lot of people there so, I was right in front of the stage the whole night, he made a comment that a lot of guitarist were there hoping to steal something.

What amazed me is that what every guitar player wants, very long fingers, Gatemouth has, his fingers are so long that he does not use his index finger, spent most of his timing trying to keep it out of his, everything was with his middle ring and pinky, his thumb just stuck out straight over the top of his guitar, I don't recall him ever using it for form all thechords were three finger with a capo, he was moving that capo around like move my index finger in barre chords, what amazed me, never would have guessed in a million years was every thing was a with a capo, he was constantly moving that thing, and he would move past the nut to play open postion and move it to 7th fret, 5th fret, the capo never stayed in one place during a song as I recall.

As I said it really freaked me out, and Gate mouth was and still is, he was play a couple years ago I remeber. About the only thing that learned was he must really want to play guitar, cause "it don't come easy, you know it don't come easy"

anyway he was playing by himself, which really amazed me that he could pull that off for 5 hours, yeah I saw his whole show that night and really loved it.

My friend and I had an arguement going home, I thought his tuning was drop d or DADGBD type tuning, my friend thought is was open G, really we were only arguing about the tuning of the A string, so you might try those tunings if you want to persue it further.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Wonderful player, fiercely original - and that was no accident

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

maybe if I would learn to read the opening post before typing something out, I don't think I contributed anything the OP did not already know, usually when I do that i delete the post, I will go ahead and spam the thread.

he did use his thumb and fore finger, but not doc watson style with his hand moving 1000 mph, I just noticed it since I am a finger picker,

his hammer ons and pull offs were against the capo as recall, really did notice the normal style hammer ons,

personally gatemouth has such an individualist style that you are missing the point to try to copy it, like a guy I played with who set the guitar in his lap, I tried to copy him, but never could and I had no hope of being anywhere near as good as he is. Gatemouth is great, (tried to come up with some better to say, but everything just falls short. )