• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Clarence White!

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
I was reading the newest edition of Fretboard Journal last night & they
have a whole article devoted to CW. Great photos of his guitar & a fas-
cinating read. This is the man who,i believe is one of the originators of
" country-rock ". (Please don't blame him for the crap coming out of Nash-
ville,nowadays). A profound influence on Albert Lee,Vince Gill,Marty Stu-
art,etc.

It all ended because of a drunk driver. :mad:

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Clarence is one of the most influential guitar players ever, on both acoustic and electric guitars. A real master of timing and phrasing. To me, a true genius and innovator...I can never get too much Clarence!

FYI, Roland White and his wife Diane Bouska have just published (2009) a music book (with 2 CDs included) called "the essential Clarence White." Great photos, text and transcriptions from the person who knew him better than anyone. I just received it..can't wait to dig in and spend the rest of my life trying to get just of bit of Clarence to rub off on my playing.

dlguitar64

I have loved CW since i heard the Muleskinner record when i was 13 years old-One of the true innovators in both bluegrass and rock and ranks with Django,Wes and Jimi as untouchable masters.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Love CW. This is an essential recording:

/rick
I love Clarence's playing on this, but the singing is SOOO bad it's hard to listen to the whole thing. And the harmonica playing is atrocious as well.

Where can a guy get the book anyhow?

Kentucky Colonels, "Living in the Past" is a great chronicle of Clarance's blue grass years, all live. How many other gtrists have made a mark as an innovator on acoustic, and then gone on to be a groundbreaker on the telecaster as well! I've been digging Clarence since the sixties.

jimfog

Love CW. This is an essential recording:

/rick
I love this recording, dearly............and keep in mind that CW was NOT using a B Bender at this point.

Just a bar band, really.......but a bar band with a genius guitarist.

Also highly recommend the Byrds "Untitled/Unreleased" and especially "Live at the Fillmore".

For his acoustic playing, I really enjoy "White Brothers- Live in Sweden". It was one of his last tours, and you hear all the innovative electric stuff crossing over into his already brilliant BG picking.

There's also a TON of good quality Clarence around on bootlegs.

One of my biggest influences.

RickC

Funny thing; we were just listening to Byrds/Fillmore on the way back from NYC this weekend. Hadn't heard it in awhile and was startled/floored by Clarence's playing on this date. Even on the little fills and background stuff, he commands your attention.

/rick

uberdave

Silver Supporting Member
I've always been a Byrds fan. Got a few tracks from Live at the Filmore, didn't realize
that it was Clarence playing those fine licks.Maybe a stupid question,but did he play w/Gram Parsons?I need to listen/learn more from his recordings.

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
I've always been a Byrds fan. Got a few tracks from Live at the Filmore, didn't realize
that it was Clarence playing those fine licks.Maybe a stupid question,but did he play w/Gram Parsons?I need to listen/learn more from his recordings.
Yes, CW played on the Byrds Sweethearts of the Rodeo album with Gram Parsons.

todd richman

He was a killer picker for sure. I listened to a bunch of his work on that Byrds box set that came out a few years ago including some amazing live work. His tone, phrasing and technique were very special. I would love to try the Don Mare White's Hammer Tele pickup set to see if I can achieve some of the tone-the chops are another story!

matte

the live byrds record has some amazing playing by clarence. i love his playing on lover of the bayou.

one of my favourite guitarists.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
the live byrds record has some amazing playing by clarence. i love his playing on lover of the bayou.

Covered recently by Petty and Campbell in Mudcrutch.

Campbell even pulls out a B-Bender.

jimfog

Agreed......when he kicks in that fuzz and goes to town on the bender on that song......just sublime. That track is the one that really opened my ears to CW, way back when.

Trending Topics