Clark 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Replica's on ebay ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trotter, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me about the Clark 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Replica's Mr. Clark sells on ebay? It appears that he uses a Mojo cab and Weber speaker to bring the cost down, but aside from that it looks to be the same as the $1395 Beaufort model. Seems like a good value... any feedback/opinions are appreciated!

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5E3-Tweed-Delux...ryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

You are correct on the cab and speaker. He also goes with newer and less expensive caps and resistors but overall the sound of the amp is close to his premium 50's reproductions. And most of all, yes this is a very good value. He builds these amps a few miles from me and I've had a chance to hear the originals and these newer ones. All sound wonderful.

3. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

Think he might make 2 changes for similar price (a diff cab covering and weber speaker)??

Aw nevermind, I'll just email the man himself.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Telecaster62 is correct. I owned a Special and own a 'full' Beaufort. The differences were audible to me, but not major -- whether or not they are worth the ~$500 difference (new) is certainly debatable. My Special did have PIO caps as an upgrade (it was several years old, bought used.) I would be perfectly content with either amp, although I'd definitely spend the extra bucks to get a good set of NOS tubes & I prefer a Weber 12A125A over the Jensen or Celestion Blue.

If you are interested in the built-in attenuator or reverb, you'd have to get the full Beaufort, however.

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! Anyone else had any experience with these?

thanks!

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Sprague Atoms, SoZos, CC resistors...

It doesn't look like a budget amp to me. It looks like a great value!