Clark amps switched from Jensen to Jupiter caps - Anyone heard both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dukeh62, Mar 25, 2015.

1. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I know this is a LONG SHOT, but I was wondering if anyone here has happened to have heard a Clark amp — preferably the Beaufort — with both the previously used Jensen caps, and the Jupiter caps he is using now. I have a Beaufort with Jensens now, and would be curious how those who have heard both would describe the difference. I know we're talking subtleties here, but this IS TGP!!! Thanks!

2. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Have not, but interested. Mine has Jensens and it sounds good. :)

3. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

I have had Clark with Jensens, with Jupiters (currently), and with Mallories.

While it's probably more correlative than causative, I liked the tone of all the Mallory amps the best. I liked the tone of the Jensen amps the least - they all seemed to have the most highs in the "presence" frequency range, no matter the speaker, and the softest mids.

My Clark with the Jupiters also has the 12ax7 mod, which I think might be a mistake. However, I still like it better than the Jensen amps I've had.

I doubt any of it really has to do with the caps, and probably has much more to do with pre-amp voicing, difference in preamp tubes, and the weather-seriously.

4. Roe

Roe Member

the jensen caps sounds relatively bright and clear in my experience, something that works well in some cases (eg. a warm sounding amp like jtm45 or a bassman)

5. dukeh62

Interesting, when I inquired to Michael Clark about the differences between the Jensens and Jupiters, he stated that the high-end response is pretty much the same, and the only difference was slightly more clarity in the low end.

6. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I've always found the Jensen PIO to be warm and smooth. In one position you probably won't hear much of a difference, but the Clark MTC I owned used them throughout the amp. It was beautiful to look at inside but the amp was too warm. Too smooth and tame. Could have used the bite of another cap type.

The Marshall JTM45 offset I owned at the same time was a lot more raunchy and mean. I played the MTC only a handful of times before getting rid of it.

YMMV - there's still a lot of people that think the value of the cap is the only thing that matters.

7. Roe

Roe Member

Yes, the Jensens can be warm sounding. but they are a little brighter sounding than sozos and mustards, in my experience.

8. hardys

hardys Member

I haven't had any experience with the Jensens, but I love my Belmont Reverb (Vibrolux style) that's built with Jupiters. It's the closest to the Vintage Blackface vibe of any clone I've heard.

9. Trout

Trout Member

Its called Marketing,, nobody cares about the Jensen Caps anymore,, they are old news.
    Jupiter's latest caps are a more recently a hot topic/item.

Relevance matters, these days many builders offer items based on a formula of Perceived value vs Cost.
    Just remember, Leo never wasted resources buying the latest greatest novelties.
    Most of the legendary amps were built with Bulk & lowest bidder government surplus for pennies on the dollar..

What do you think that $64.50 retail price Jupiter caps actually buy you?
    What do you think that $4.50 retail price Mallory or CDE caps buy you?

Better yet, will the audience at a gig notice the extra $60.00?
    Not Likely.

I have no doubts about the extremely subtle differences from brand to brand, the do indeed exist.

YMMV but to me, the typical added $60.00 retail is better spent in places that offer a much bigger return.

10. dukeh62

And that's EXACTLY why a few days after I started this thread, I bought a dead-mint used Jensen-loaded Beaufort for $535 less than a new Jupiter-loaded model! And guess what, it STILL sounds different than my other Beaufort, but it sounds great!

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

This is the opinion to listen to IMHO. He gets to swap out components on the same amps I bet, this is the only real way to compare.

12. RCCola

Where are you getting those prices? What you posted is about 2x what is generally available.

Regardless, the price ratio is still vast.

The Orange Drop 6PS used in Dumble's are ~$2 a piece.

13. Trout

Trout Member

Right here,

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/new-product/

2X? hardly
    5E3 uses the following.
    .1uf X 4 = $56
    .022 X 1 = $11.50

Yeah maybe there are a couple dealers possibly a little less, or if you buy at an oem price there is a discount.

14. RCCola

I see. I thought you were talking about per cap and also the copper foil - which would be the analog to the Jensen PIO. The Jupiter copper wire is ~$30 per cap.

Orange drops in those values total would be $9 from Mojo.

15. Trout

Trout Member

:beer

Looking back, I also assumed they were the Red Astron style, if its the Yellow Astron style it would indeed be lower for a 5E3 Set = $33.75