Clark Beaufort Appreciation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluetweed, Feb 5, 2006.

1. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

Hey Anyone out there want to talk tone stories about there Beaufort/ I have had 2 with reverb and 1 original Gold special/ I keep going back because his amps make me play the blues so much better!!

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have the Tyger, not the Beaufort, but the tone appreciation is the same. Last night my brother -- a critical guy who doesn't play but has discerning ears -- came by. He hadn't seen the Tyger, so I played a bit at low volume, did a quick tour of tweed cleans and 3 knob reverb. Later, at my buddy's blues gig, I sat in second set with the Tyger, wrung it out good. Afterwards, my brother said nothing about my playing, but went on about the amp. ("Your amp sounded incredible!! ... even really loud, it didn't hurt my ears ... every note was so distinct ...")

I concur. There is a Clark sound. I cannot describe it, but need to hear it often.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm really gassin' for one of these..........darn it!!! :FM

:D

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

OK, this seems to be a good time to ask this question I've been dying to know the answer to...

The Beaufort w/reverb: is it similar in tone to a Deluxe Reverb???

If not how so? Thanks!

5. earx

earx Member

Beaufort is a well known cheese in France
    i discover this is an amp too :jo

[​IMG]

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

The Clark Beaufort is not like a Deluxe Reverb, it is a clone of the famouse narrow-panel tweed Deluxe.(5E3 circuit) I have one and love it. I don't have or need reverb. This amp has an organic rightness about it. It does flub out in the low end when pushed too hard, so neck pickups tones are best around halfway up. Single coil guitars sound best. If you are a fan of more modern, refined high gain amps, look elsewhere.

7. fast ricky love

I know the 5E3 circuit, I've owned a Vicky 20112. Just wondered if with the reverb it made it similar to the DR...

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Completely different animal.

9. James Knox

James Knox Member

Tyger, Beaufort and Lil Bit Owner here! I am DONE (Game Over) in the amplifier realm. Now if I can just settle down with Pedals and Guitars :D

Peace,

James

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I built the 5E3 clone offered by Mission Amps. It has the voltage corrected PT, a custom wound paper bobbin OT, CC resistors, Mallory 150 caps, a great cabinet, and I put a Celestion Blue in it like the Beaufort. I would love to compare it side by side to the Beaufort someday, but in the meantime, all I can say is...my hats off to the world of tweed in general. I am a believer! I have been playing a Vibrolux reverb and a Deluxe Reverb for many years now. There is no similarity really. I can't wait to build more kits. I am smitten with both the idea of kits and tweed. A Bandmaster or a Super might be next. I might try an 18 watt Marshall sometime too. But for now the little Deluxe is just right! Not too loud, not too quiet. Really just about the perfect amp for most situations.

11. fast ricky love

Hey Ogre, fill me in... :AOK

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Fast Ricky: Tweed and BF voicings feel so different. My BFDR is not all that similar to deluxes I've played. It's crisper, edgier, emphasis on bass and treble. Can sound a little thin at home. On stage, perfecto! The DR has that wonderful 6v6 soft sort of overdrive, but with more cut. Tweed deluxes feel louder to me at home, but don't cut quite as well on stage. The tweed clean is not the pristine, sharp clean of a BF. It's thicker, never quite as clean. There's always more body to the sound with tweed.

Another point to consider: the added Clark reverb has a distinctive sound, far more tonal flexibility than you get with BF reverbs. So a direct comparison is not that easy.

13. fast ricky love

Thanks bro! Man I'd love that reverb Beaufort...

14. fast ricky love

Just an update: I've had my Clark Beaufort w/reverb now for @ 5 months. It has done nothing less than completely recalibrate what 'good tone' is for me. The BFDR and Bruno have gotten little playing time since. Oh and the Celes Blue is the way to go, I tried quite a few speakers and the CS is just the way to go. Mr Clark is a true craftsman of the highest order.