Clark Beaufort Premium question

Csgband

I have a Clark Beaufort Premium with reverb and a Celestion blue.
It seems to me it breaks up very very fast.
My tech looked at it and said it was OK.
I have owned a 59 deluxe and it seemed to me there was more headroom.
I was using a Strat with Lollar dirty blondes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Crikey

Tubes?

An old Deluxe might (speaking hypothetically, alas I've never personally seen/heard/played one) have come with lower gain tubes (12AY7, 12AT7, 12AU7, other variants) installed. I don't know what Clark puts in the Beaufort (again, alas, I've never . . .), but 12AX7s are really common these days.

Speakers?

The Beaufort Premium ships with a 15W Celestion Blue and the amp puts out 12W at least as a guess. That could be a big part of it right there.

I heard a different 5E3-based combo with a Celestion Blue once and loved the combination. It was definitely capable of rocking.

Just some ideas.

Crikey

teleblaster

Try a weber 12A125 {P12Q} Lots of bottom and a hole lotta output. The weber will give you more headroom too.

JDJ

Mike usually uses a 12AY7... make sure it's still in there. A different speaker will give you more headroom and that Blue has lots of mids to it, which, ultimately, I did not like when playing at home but worked well in the mix with others. Also, the reverb adds a bit of gain. You can unsolder the two leads and take it out of the circuit.

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
Chris...JDJ brings up a great point - make sure the 12AY7 is still in there....that could be the issue.

Eugene

Trending Topics

Top Bottom