1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Clark Beaufort Premium question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Csgband, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Clark Beaufort Premium with reverb and a Celestion blue.
    It seems to me it breaks up very very fast.
    My tech looked at it and said it was OK.
    I have owned a 59 deluxe and it seemed to me there was more headroom.
    I was using a Strat with Lollar dirty blondes.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

Tubes?

An old Deluxe might (speaking hypothetically, alas I've never personally seen/heard/played one) have come with lower gain tubes (12AY7, 12AT7, 12AU7, other variants) installed. I don't know what Clark puts in the Beaufort (again, alas, I've never . . .), but 12AX7s are really common these days.

Speakers?

The Beaufort Premium ships with a 15W Celestion Blue and the amp puts out 12W at least as a guess. That could be a big part of it right there.

I heard a different 5E3-based combo with a Celestion Blue once and loved the combination. It was definitely capable of rocking.

Just some ideas.

Crikey

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Try a weber 12A125 {P12Q} Lots of bottom and a hole lotta output. The weber will give you more headroom too.

4. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

The celestion blue breaks up very quickly, sounds good though.

5. go7

go7 Member

6. JDJ

JDJ Member

Mike usually uses a 12AY7... make sure it's still in there. A different speaker will give you more headroom and that Blue has lots of mids to it, which, ultimately, I did not like when playing at home but worked well in the mix with others. Also, the reverb adds a bit of gain. You can unsolder the two leads and take it out of the circuit.

7. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Chris...JDJ brings up a great point - make sure the 12AY7 is still in there....that could be the issue.

Eugene