Clark Beaufort Tweed Deluxe grind at bedroom volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by goodsal, Feb 6, 2008.

1. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

I just got a Clark Beaufort Special. I love this amp, but even with the built-in attenuator on the -15db setting, it's too loud for me to use in my basement without disturbing the family if I want to get a good overdriven tone. I have a Weber 12A125 (P12Q) in the amp, and was wondering if switching to a 12A100 (P12R) would cut down the volume without sacrificing tone. I was also considering swapping the 12AY7 for a 12AX7. Any ideas?

2. joel

joel Member

I don't know about the Weber P12Q, but I do know that the R is noticably less loud than the N. I have also found that original Jensen P12Ns are considerably less loud. You might find an old black-frame (hammond organ) P12N for reasonable price. I don't prefer original Jensen 'Rs though, to weak & ratty. I don't think tube-swapping will get you a lower-volume overdriven sound, I haven't found a recipe that works in that regard. In fact you might even find that higher-gain preamp tubes give you breakup at lower volume. Good luck!

3. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

Does anyone know anythihg about swapping a 6K6 for the 6V6 power tubes? I've been told it cuts the wattage in 1/2 without sacrificing tone.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I use a Hot Plate with mine and I find I usually end up cutting 8 or 12 db, but it's still not what would be categorized as bedroom. I find the -16 kills the tone too much though. I thought the Clark attenuator only did -3, -6, and -9. They are surprisingly loud little amps, not really bedroom friendly. At band rehearsal, I run it a -4 a lot cause it can be too much in our space with no cut. A Champ circuit attenuated would probably be better. Heck, I have a 1/2 watt Noisy Cricket that is really too loud for "bedroom" volume with an od in front of it going into a 1x12 ext. cab.

5. MarkL8

MarkL8 Member

Yeppers! I run my 5E3 with 6K6's but to get the good stuff it will still be loud. From what Bruce at Mission has stated it will get you around 7-8 watts. That is still well past bedroom volume.

6. Dave

Dave Member

There's a -3,-6,-9 model and a -3,-6,-9,-12,-15 model. I have the one that goes to -15. Turns out the one that goes to -9 would have been fine because any more attenuation than that sounds lousy to me.