Clark Beautfort Vs Carr Mercury

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KenSea, Aug 3, 2005.

1. KenSea

KenSea Member

I have kind of narrowed my search down between the Clark Beaufort and the Carr Mercury. I know some of you guys have had both of these amps, Which do you perfer, did you sell one of them only to really miss it. Did You sell one of them and are you still glad that you unloaded it. Thanks for your input!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'd have to guess with full EQ and reverb and built-in attenuator, the Merc is the more versatile of the two. but if you need power, the 2x6V6 Beaufort will get you there.

3. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Agreed.

The versatility issue also extends to the Merc running your choice of EL34/KT66/KT88/6L6/EL37/6550 single ended, versus running the Beaufort's 2x6V6 (or 2x6L6 with a rectifier change).

I've got a Beaufort, and have only heard the Merc clips (but I've got a Siegmend Midnight Special which also runs the same output tubes single-ended). But like riffmeister suggested, beyond the tone differences of running the Merc's output tube single-ended vs. the Beaufort's tweed Deluxe circuit, I think you've got to evaluate how you'll be using the amp you'll buy.

Home, low-volume jamming, small venues, or you'll always be able to mike up? The Merc will probably be fine.

Need an amp to be heard in a non-miked band (multiple guitars/drums, etc), and the Beaufort will probably be a better match.

From what I've read about the Merc and Rambler, I think the more apples to apples comparison would be the Rambler vs. the Beaufort (both running similar output tubes cathode biased). So again, I'd probably tip the scales based on:

- how I'd be using the amp
    - whether or not I'm looking for pure "tweed" tone

No wrong decisions, they're both outstanding amps for what they're designed to do.

4. KenSea

KenSea Member

I am not worried about power, as it is for home use. I just want a very good sounding amp at low volumes. So tone is everthing. I am not a big reverb fan so that doesnt realy throw any weight there. I like the fact that the mercury can use more than one tube as the tube market is the most stable thing.

Thanks

5. riffmeister

I don't think the Beaufort is a "quiet amp" ;) The Merc might be a better choice for you because of the attenuator.

6. KenSea

KenSea Member

I think and maybe i am wrong but the Beaufort would be fine for low volume cleans but not really be able to use it in overdrive. Would you agree on this?

Thanks

7. riffmeister

Yeah, no MV, so it's gonna be pretty loud when the Beaufort overdrives.

8. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Ken
    I can speak for the Merc as I have one and have experimented with it quite a bit. The tone and it's flexability are fantastic! It's got great clean and OD tones at any Vol. Don't let the 8 watts fool you, it is loudl! The ability to go to 1/2 a watt is cool in a home, you don't drive the rest of the family crazy. I use mine on 2 and 8 watts the most, the only setting that I don't use is 1/10th of a watt. I would recommend Mullard Preamp tubes and a speaker upgrade(I installed a Celestion G12H30).

The only drawbacks are $$$ and the lack of a foot switch for the 3 BOOST levels. Once you get past the $$, go for it!

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Yes, I'd agree.

If I had to choose between either the Beaufort or Siegmund Midnight Special (again, the closest thing I've got to a Mercury power-wise) exclusively for home use, I'd choose the Midnight Special.

With a Beaufort, you'd probably be considering an attenuator to handle overdrive tones at home volumes. The fact the Merc has one built in, makes it even more attractive.

All this Mercury talk makes me want to try one out!
    :)

10. KenSea

KenSea Member

All this Mercury talk makes me want to try one out!

I have several times with both the KT66 and then many months later with the EL34 . While it has been some time since I had tryed it with the KT66 I liked it better with the EL34. The problem is neither time have a been overwhelmed with the sound. Its certainly good but not great in my opinion. For the selling price of 2000.00 I would hope it would bring on a smile at least as big as I get with the DrZ Ghia at $1300.00

Sadly I have no way of hearing the Clark Beaufort. You would think a smart marketing person would at least put some sound clips of the amp on their web page.....are you listening Bob @Perfect Note.

Thanks for your replay, I realize there is no one perfect amp but I would just like to avoid the problems of getting into the amp of the mouth club that most belong to, not that is fun but very costly

Ken

11. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I have to agree! The Merc is not great out of the box, the King Pin speaker needs to be upgraded. I found it to be a pretty great amp after that! The amp will also benefit from a tube upgrade!

12. ricoh

ricoh Member

I had a Clark Beaufort and although it had a great sound and tone.......... really rich thick and great harmonic content but........
    it did not have enough clean head room for me. I sent it back and got a Tyger. For your room it would be OK. It starts to break up at
    about 3 or 4 on the vol. Can be jumped too. Clarks are really well made too. I don't know anything about Carrs.
    Rico

13. KenSea

KenSea Member

It just seems for $2000.00 it would have a little excitement, and maybe a better speaker.

14. KenSea

KenSea Member

Joe, what speaker did you upgrade to? I have heard that the Celestion Blue works great, of course I believe it would improve almost any amp....kw

15. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Ken I installed a Celestion G12H30. I actually have a Avatar Hellatone which is an already broken in version. The KingPin made the amp sound small and kind of lifeless compared to the G12.
    I would like to try a Blue and probably will. I have heard that it works well and fits if you take off the "bell". I am not sure what is entailed in removing it, and that is my only concern.

Maybe someone can comment as to whether it is worth even trying, in other words is there enough diff between the two to justify $229.00 and the work invol..........ved