Clark Blackface replica

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hugo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hugo

Hugo Member

Anybody played one?

I had a LilBit from Clark that was very nice and really dug the build quality.
    I am now looking for a Blackface clone and Clark seems a good option. But no reviews on the net and no coments on our GP forum. I am looking for BFDR type of amp. Bruno Cowtipper may be also a nice choice. Any help?

Tx!:AOK

Hugues

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've heard/read nothing but good things about them. Some guy local to me had a Clark Accomplice (BFDR-like) for sale, but he changed his mind. I never got a chance to try it, though.

3. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I've heard of an Allen Accomplice. Clark has the Kanee, Belmont, and Rockford reverbs. Check his site http://clarkamplification.com.
    I can say that the two Clarks I owned were far and away the best built amps I've had. Both were tweed types, but I can't imagine that his attention to detail would be any less on a "blackface" amp.

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

Sorry, I'm a dorque. I got them confused.

Still, only heard good things about Clarks and Allens. :)

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Brunos are not clones. If you want a clone, go with one of the other companys you listed, or better yet, get the real thing. Brunos are Blackface inspired, but really very different.
    (IMO, MUCH better. ;) )

6. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Hey...You're not a dork(que). That's my job.;)

7. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I have a Clark MTC-45=JTM-45 and a Beaufort= Tweed Deluxe. Stellar build quality and both nail the tone of the orginals. Haven't heard his blackface type amps but can't imagine them being anything but the same. You could give Bob a call at The Perfect Note 1-413-283-5592. Takes all of Clarks orders and will be able to answer any questions you have. You could also ask in the Clark Amps section at The Perfect Note's forum http://www.tpngear.com/forum/

8. Roe

Roe Member

here's from the clark page:

Rockford Reverb
    Forty Five watt, one twelve combo, "electric era" circuitry. Dual channel with volume, bass, treble, reverb, speed, and depth controls. Tube compliment is one 5AR4, two 6L6, (4) 12AX7's, and (2) 12AT7's. All current manufacture. Features one Weber VST custom C12NT style ceramic magnet speaker. This amp is set up with front control panel. Includes dual foot-switch for Reverb and Vibrato. Cabinet cosmetics black tolex with oxblood grill cloth. The perfect size and power level for performance.
    $1350.00

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

Based on my experience with my Clark Beaufort, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything he makes.

10. dm4501

dm4501 Member

I've owned a Clark Belmont for about 9 months. It's a very nice sounding amp and the build quality is second to no other builder]. My amp is voiced a bit thicker in the mids by request (I don't like that super clean blackface tone so many other players seek). The Rockford looks like a very good deal. You can't go wrong with a Clark, if the basic amp style is what you're looking for.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

What I'm not sure I understand is why the Rockford and the Kanee are $1,000 cheaper than the other two BF style amps?
    The Rockford and Beaufort Reverb are both dual channel - the Rockford Reverb is 45 watt to the 20 watt Beaufort Reverb.
    Anyone know why this is?

best, Pete.

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I wish Michael Clark would post pictures of all his amp models on his site :confused: :confused:

That said, I currently have a Beaufort Special on order! :dude

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure anything Michael Clark produces will sound very nice!

I've got an Allen Accomplice on order.....I'm hoping for some good stuff along the lines of a BF Deluxe reverb but with a non-flub bass.....and some tweediness via the 'raw' control.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Riffy,

I was looking at that amp, great specs! You going with the "big iron" and big tubes??? What sort of delivery time is it (if you don't mind me asking - or PM me)?

Best, Pete.

15. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

I thought Michael Clark was pretty much a TWEED builder, not BF. I don't know that anything he's got would be a BF clone. I do hear his tweed rigs are wonderful -- unfortunately he builds to order so playing one before you buy is next to impossible.

16. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Try a Fargen Blackbird

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Going with the "normal iron" (can run 6V6's or 6L6's) as I wouldn't mind a little breakup at small club volume levels. Build time is running ~30 days......mine should be ready late next week or the week after.

18. hoffmanj

hoffmanj Supporting Member

I am a BIG fan of Clark amps, having owned many models over the years.

That said, if I wanted a Blackface clone, I'd go with an Allen. He makes a number of great amps in that style, and is one of the best and most responsive amp builders you'll find.

19. Hugo

Hugo Member

Thanls a lot for the valuable inputs.

Hugues.

20. Roe

Roe Member