Clark Gainster VS Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sl1960a, Feb 27, 2006.

1. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

I'm somewhat curious about purchasing a new OD pedal and both of these seem very popular. I've heard some clips of both pedals (they both sound great), but I have a few questions:

Are they more than TS808/9 clones?
    Are they actually different/similar from each other and how?
    I've read there are different models/features for both pedals - What are they and what do they do?
    Best bang for the buck?
    Bottom line which pedal is better?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks - Mark

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

If I had to pick one over the other I would go with the Direct Drive, it can do low gain and high gain nicely. I've used both and prefer the Direct Drive but the Gainster is still a nice pedal all depends on the tones your looking for!

3. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Very different pedals. The Direct Drive has way more drive, is much smoother, more compression. The Gainster is lower drive but more grit at higher gain settings, less compression. Neither is a Tubescreamer clone. The Gainster is probably more comparable to the Barber Silver LTD.

4. what?

what? Member

I agree with GFC and I've got em both

5. sl1960a

To What? - Which pedal do you favor or is just depending on the situation?

Also - the LTD is less compressed than the DD? How is the LTD Silver is different from the original LTD?

6. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The LTD is lower drive and lower compression compared to the DD. The Silver LTD has a flatter midrange response and a little less compression.

7. sl1960a

Okay, currenty I use an old strat w/gold lace sensors and a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge>currently using a Hotcake for drive>Rivera BM60 1x12 combo w/1x12 closed back cabinet (channel 2 set clean, somewhat voxish). I like the Hotcake, but I'm looking more for a nice ZZTopish crunch w/the singing lead tone that gets the great harmonic feedback while sustaining. Which one (DD, Gainster, LTD, or SilverLTD) will get me there, but be the most versitile?

Thanks - Mark

8. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I would recommend the Direct Drive for that. If you have the extra to spend, consider the add on mod board which gives a nice set of additional features for fine tuning. Bob at The Perfect Note in MA is your best bet on the mod board. I don't think most dealers handle the custom orders as regularly as he does.

9. sl1960a

Okay, I'll bite the bait - what is the addon boad mod and what does it do? Is this just some of the mods on Barber's site for the DD?

Thanks Mark

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

I don't have a Direct Drive, but I can tell you the Clark does not do "singing lead tone", it is a low-gain growler. It is definitely not a tubescreamer. I love it, but I don't think it does what you're asking. You might look at the Blackstone as well: www.blackstoneappliances.com
    Good luck.

11. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Check this link for my brief explanation on Barber's forum...

http://tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=569

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Hi Mark, Just to thow in my 2 cents, I think you'll be very very happy with the Direct Drive. I bought one a couple of months ago, and now it's my favorite pedal. I also have a Maxon OD808, and have had a few tube screamers in the past. BFC's descriptions of the Barber pedals are right on. You might even just try the stock DD for now and worry about mods later. It's pretty versatile to begin with, and a huge bang for the buck IMO.

13. sl1960a

Thanks for all the responses. I do have some TSs (10, 5, and 9 modded to 808 specs - all have the JRC4558 - only the 9 had chip added - my orginal TS9 was stolen from a gig many years ago - actually the whole pedalboard - script Dyna Comp, Boss Dimension C and a MXR loop selector used as a patch bay). I liked them back in the day, but even with the best sounding one (the modded 9), I just don't like the lose of bass and the mid hump anymore - it's just too SRVish.

I have read where Barber has some of the additions (bass and presence) to his new models. I've also have seen a couple DDSS pedals on ebay. How are these different? Do both of these models compare to the board mod or are they only partial bits of the board mod? Also, is the board mod a third party add on, something Barber does, or a kit that can be added?

14. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

A few notes about the Direct Drives:
    1. Some of the new DDs have both bass and presence trimmers inside. Some have only the bass trimmer. Mine has both. I don't think you can tell the difference unless you open them up.
    2. The DDSS has bass, presence and a harmonic trimmer inside. On the new DD the harmonic is activated by pulling up on the tone knob - it's either on or off.
    3. Neither the DDSS or new DD have the mod board in them. Barber does the mod themselves. I don't know if they'd sell you a kit.

15. cheesey

cheesey Member

what amp do you have?
    i have learned the hard way that my tweed amp doesnt like ts pedals , had mjm blues devil and it didnt match well , great with a silver /blackface fender.
    so i got an original big gainster that works so well with tweed , mike clark designed it to compliment his amps and sold for like $289 US.
    not sure about the new barber /gainster one.
    i did buy the new DD hoping to get more gain out of my tweed but again it sat on my board 3 gigs unused , didnt work either. I did get a paul cochrane Tim to work nicely and it and gainster get used alot.

good luck.

16. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

I have and use both in my chain.

I use the Gainster for open chords and low gain stuff.
    I use the Direct Drive for power chords and leads.

They are both nice pedals and have satisfied my need for crunch.