Clark or Richter Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Mar 2, 2008.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I think I've read just about every Tweed Deluxe thread, but none compares the two. Each have their fanbase, but I'm looking for the opinions of those who have actually played both.

Keep in mind, in regards to the Clark I'm not talking about the Beaufort, just the version sold on Ebay. I'm sure it wouldn't be fair to compare the Richter to a tricked out version with Celestion Blue and NOS tubes.

Please, if you could describe the differences in tone and feel. I'm not interested in the lack of laquer, chassis color, etc.

Also, is there a noticable difference between the Ebay version and Beaufort? If so, in your opinion is at a $500+ difference?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I was going to post this thread so I guess I'll just tag along for the ride.

Here are the first differences I see:
    • Clark has vintage style chrome chassis; Richter powder black
    • Clark has Jensen reissue P12Q (or Vin 30); Richter a Jensen Neo
    • Clark has Mojo "authentic" tinted and lacquered cab; Richter not lacquered
    • Clark 12W; Richter 15W
    As far as circuit components and design I haven't delved into that yet.

3. Trout

Trout Member

I think that from a viewpoint of replica's, Clarks are clearly one of if not the best replica on the market. I ruled out Victoria based on price point.

As a Richter owner, I will leave out comments on tone, and just comment that she markets an excellent "rendition" but not a replica. In some ways thats actually a good thing.

If I never owned a 5E3 and was serious about buying one, I would go out and try the re-issue, Put feelers out for someone locally that owns one of the prospects on your list and try to hook up to audition one.

The differences are subtle, but there are indeed differences, Speakers seem to have a pretty big role in that. Me personally, I can not see spending 200.00+ on a speaker like a Blue for a subtle difference.

YMMV

4. Crikey

Crikey Member

I agree that speakers have a big role in voicing amps. To me, the sonic difference between a Jensen speaker and a Celestion Blue is not "subtle", it's huge, enough to make the amp sound like a different amp. Whether that's worth $200 depends on which sound you like better, and how much.

I wish I had compared the Richter and Clark and could directly address the original question, but alas I have not. I did very much like the Richter I heard.

Crikey

5. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Jeff,

I can't speak directly to the Clark that's sold on eBay, but I can tell you that my Beaufort Premium always blows me away when I plug into it. I'd guess that while Mike's eBay amp uses some less expensive components (e.g. no Blue), the overall sound/feel is going to be similar. What I like best about the amp is that with only 3 knobs, you've got to vary your pick attack, use the guitars volume pot, etc. to really get everything out of the amp. I can honestly say that the amp is FORCING me to become a better player.....which I find to be very cool!

I don't think you'll find a 5E3 that feels any beter than Mike's amps.

Good luck with your search!

Eugene

6. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Go with the Clark, you won't be dissapointed. I like the Jensen Reissue C12Q 35W Ceramic speaker that was shipped in one of mine years ago BTW...over the Alnicos and Celestions, as they can get spikey?, but maybe they just need break in?

I can't imagine a big difference between the Beaufort and Beaufort Special(EBAY)..Again, I was very happy with both BS's I've had. If the reverb was still $275-$325 like years ago, I'd probably order another new one with reverb. Mike Clark has always been available by email for me.

Good Luck.

7. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

+1 The Celestion Blue (or Gold) will make your Jensen speaker sound like its coming from a telephone. I swapped the Jensen P12Q in my 5e3 for a Gold and I'm not looking back. Granted, the amp has lost the Jensen mojo, but imho, it sounds much BETTER. Big improvement.

8. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I never did get to try a Blue in my Clarks..probably would have been sweet..but I never cared for the Weber or Jensen Alnicos I tried, I liked the way the C12Q would break up..took a couple of months to break in...it's all good. I'm pondering the new GSW Blue Alnico ($160), I might have to pick one up, just because.

9. Zim

Zim Member

My Richter didn't come w/ a neo, it had the reg. Jensen.

Never tried the Clark, hear great things, but the Richter was with in my budget, so I got it and love it!