Clark Rockford Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cleenlivin, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Cleenlivin

Cleenlivin Member

:D :D Last week I received my new amp from Clark Amplification.....it was one of Clark's new Blackface amplifier models. The model, a Rockford Reverb, is a "Fender Blackface" style amplifier similiar in layout to a Deluxe Reverb but with higher power output using 6L6 tubes.

Out of the box the amplifier was well put together (the packaging job was first rate, large sturdy box, plenty of packing foam). The tolex, and controls (white barrel knobs, footswitch) were perfect. When I plugged it in I was equally impressed by the sound.

The amplifier has a normal and vibrato channel with reverb like a Deluxe Reverb. It is a very quiet amp and has a Weber 12" speaker (C12NT). The sounds that come out of it can go from smooth and sweat to loud and sparkly. Although, I have never had the opportunity to play a Deluxe Reverb this amp sounds really good to me. The reverb is great too and is usable over the entire range of the control. It's smooth with no boinginess or ghost sounds. The Vibrato is something I have to work with and get used to since I have never used this type of effect.

I haven't cracked up the volume yet but I think the higher output transformer will keep this amp from distorting at lower volumes. It should stay cleaner longer I guess. As I play it more I will give more information.

2. Roe

Roe Member

I'm waiting for mine. is it the exact same size as a deluxe reverb or is it bigger?

the webers need some time to break in. the speaker will sound louder and not so harsh after a few weeks

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Nice report. I had Clark's Kanee Reverb great amp.

4. Cleenlivin

Cleenlivin Member

Well I haven't had a chance to take measurements of the cabinet of the amp, I did order a cover from Custom Amplifiers Inc. The cover I ordered was for an older Fender Deluxe Reverb and it fits the amplifier fine.

Thanks for the information about breaking in the speaker....I have continued to play and this amplifier and it does have some beautiful tones. The reverb is outstanding and as I start using the Vibrato I'm starting to get hooked. Great amplifier.

5. Roe

Roe Member

my rockford rev will ship august the 1th. :D

6. nik

nik Member

I have one coming too, but with NOS tubes and an old, reconed JBL D130 15" speaker so it will basically be Clark's version of a Vibroverb...

7. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

How long did it take to get your Clark's from the time of order?

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

With a name like Rockford it has got to be good!

9. Roe

Roe Member

at least 14 weeks

10. Roe

Roe Member

it seems to be the exactly the same size as a deluxe reverb

11. Roe

Roe Member

the amp works very well. :) it's very good for blues, very dynamic and it has the classic blackface sound. :AOK works very well with tokai les paul, warmoth esquire, gretsch 6131my and a 335.

so far the amp is loud, but not very loud - it breaks up a little sooner than I thought .
    the speaker have a little problem with cone cry, but I hope it goes away when the speaker is more broken in (I've used it over 20 hours so far). on my other webers the cone cry was only a problem when the speaker was new.
    One double question: how should the amp be biased? How many mA for with tube rectifier and and how many mA with a plug in ss rectifier?

12. nik

nik Member

Mine took six months, but it was a custom order for the 15" cabinet.

13. Roe

Roe Member

mine took about 4 months. there's been some extra delay at clark because they lost one employee.