Sold CLARK/TYLER 5E3 in Clark Tweed Pro-sized cab

Mark Williams

Platinum Supporting Member
SOLD.
This is a CLARK BEAUFORT (5E3 Tweed Deluxe-type amplifier), partly reworked by John Brinton (TYLER AMPS), NOW ON HOLD housed in a Clark solid antique pine lacquered-tweed cabinet that is the size of a Tweed Pro (except, of course, that the chassis/control panel cut-out is for a 5E3 chassis). The chassis was originally built by Michael Clark and, in October of 2016, John Brinton of TYLER AMPS reconditioned the amp, added tube retainer clips to the sockets, replaced some resistors and capacitors, replaced the transformers with properly-grounded and strong USA "Classic Tone" brand transformers (I will include the original transformers, boxed, with the amp.) and added audio taper pots. It is rated at about 15 watts output, but that is TWEED/5E3, beautifully-uncluttered-circuit watts so it can get plenty loud if the player wants. The cabinet baffle is cut for a 15" speaker, like a Tweed Pro, but there is an adapter installed which allows for a 12" speaker. Tubes are all very low use JJ's: 12AY7, 12AX7, 6V6S, 6V6S, 5Y3 (rectifier). The cabinet had housed a much older Clark Beaufort that was put into a head. Mike Clark built this chassis fairly recently and John Brinton worked on it late in 2016. I will ship with a custom padded cover with storage pocket from STUDIO SLIPS. The cabinet is beautiful antique solid pine and tweed-covered. It has a number of small indentation and creases as you'd expect from soft pine of this age, but the tweed, lacquer aged to honey-color, is in very good shape. There are four extra small holes in the top left when a cheaper handle was replaced with the high-quality one now installed. It is not especially heavy.
I will sell for SOLD, a tremendous deal on a great amp, shipped CONUS and paypal'd. 3% discount if you want to pay with a check, m.o. or cash. [email protected] or PM with questions, etc.

Last edited:

Jon C

Description somewhat ambiguous- do you mean resistors and caps had incorrect values originally or that they were replaced with same correct values as original?

And replaced transformers with different transformers than Clark uses?

Just trying to understand how much of it is Clark and how much is modded from Clark specs.

Last edited:

Mark Williams

Platinum Supporting Member
The replacements were correct values for resistors for a traditional 5E3 and were essentially the same values, according to John Brinton of Tyler Amps, Clark used. The transformers used by Clark in this one, unlike my other Clarks, were unmarked and one was not properly internally grounded. They are "Classic Tone" transformers that Brinton swears by and which sound much better in this one. Sorry about the previous ambiguity in description.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom