1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clark Users Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, Apr 29, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Just got my Lil Bit LTD, which is a 6 watt, dual 6V6 amp, loaded with a dust cap'less Red Fang, and HOLY CRAP, it sounds terrific! and this coming from a gent who swore off tweeds. ;) but crank this sucker up, grab a slide, and its Derek-D era Duane! BIG booty, Joker review forthcoming...

[​IMG]

and i remember from the NYC tonefest a few years back, hearing an exceptional Hampton 18 watter, which hit me like a mini Route 66. thick, fat, chunky, and creamy like a good bowl of clam chowdah!

but lookin' on these boards, where are all the raves? if anything Mike knows tone, and he's quickly escalating up my list of slammin' builders.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Nice!

That Hampton, that was Mike A's right? I still remember that tone.
    I see that Mike C. will now put three knob reverb an any Tweedy amp of his?

Best, Pete.

3. joel

joel Member

I've got a Clark Gullah, which I think is similar to the LTD, with two cylinders running parallel class A. Gullah is voiced a bit more towards Marshal, and has bigger iron I think, intended for 6L6's. Rich, responsive, powerful feeling amp without being monstrously loud.

I'd like another Clark amp. I'm on the lookout for a Bandmaster head for Fender 'tweed-clean'. I'm sure the other tweed builders are all great, but it's Clark for me! /jd

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

Happy Clark Beaufort owner here. I played a Lil' Bit Limited a couple of years ago, and it was the best "Champ" I've ever heard.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea, no doubt, as of today, mike's the only guy i'd ever buy another tweed. :dude

pete,

yup, Mike'll put reverb in whatever amp of his you wish. he also offers an attenuator.

btw, this past winter, i had Mike build me his "updated" Hampton, which sound even better than what i remember that other one! never got around to it, but i'll do yet another jokerfantastic review.

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Beaufort with Cele Blue here. It ended my search for a vintage Deluxe completely.

Nice being able to run 6L6's with a rectifier change, too.

7. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I use to own a Raeford,parallel 6V6's with Deluxe front end.

Is the Lil'bit like that?

I absolutely loved the tone of mine but there was some nasty "single-ended" hum.It somehow always bleeded through the mikes and the studio enginners would have me re-record my tracks,so I gave up...
    How does this amp fare on the noise issue?I'd sure love to give them another go...

Ted

8. joel

joel Member

My Gullah has some hum in the box, but it doesn't come out the speakers. I imagine it might be a bit of a problem in the studio. Sounds like Raeford, LTD, Gullah are all pretty similar. Same amp, different names? /jd

9. garbud

garbud Member

New Clark Grifton here. Basically a 60's Vox AC15 with an EF86 front end. 4 inputs, 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob. Running it into an open back Clark 2X12 with Celestion Blues. Outstanding workmanship and sweet tone. Definitely the real deal!

Garbud

10. Latif

Latif Member

I've got a Tyger, the 3x10 bandmaster with the 3 knob reverb and attenuator options. I got it new for my 50th birthday gift to myself 5 years ago and played it a lot the first couple of years and then set it aside as I've tried a few two rocks, a Maz 18 and a Rambler for the past few years. It had developed a bad random noise problem and changing out the preamp tubes didn't help so untill a few weeks ago it sat with occasional thoughts of selling it. Well I ordered a set of the short bottle TAD 6L6s to try in all of my amps and the Clark was the first one to try. Not only did it cure my problems but it is just so sweet now, I can hardly turn it off. Doesnt matter which pedal and which guitar, loves em all but especially the V-stack tweedy and the Klon with my PRS hollowbody spruce is heavenly. It seemed at first like a one trick clean pony and I moved towards my Trocks for all the tonal options offered and while I still love my custom, it's hard to get it dialed in consistently while the Clark is like, turn it on and play. In the beginning I only played through the bright channel with my strat but am lately really liking the darker normal channel. I haven't tried jumpering them yet but that'll happen soon. Did I mention what a great looking amp it is, like great old piece of furniture.

Latif

11. ricoh

ricoh Member

Clark Tyger........ Great amp .........top quality build..........and above all......... really great tone. I have been thinking about one of his " Blackface " amps

12. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Congrats jae! I have a Beaufort that I LOVE. Yes, Mike Clark builds great amps.

13. arriba

arriba Member

Have a maxed out Clark Tyger ( attenunator, reverb and Nos tubes) One of the best amps I ever had. :dude

14. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Clark Tyger here, with reverb and NOS tubage. Weber P10Q's

Those who were at the Michigan Tonefest will attest to the tone. Great stuff!:dude

15. James Knox

James Knox Member

My "need for tweed" began back in the 70's when I learned that the Layla Sessions guitar tones were Duane and Eric playing through tweed champs. I was 19 and found a Fender Tweed Champ at a pawn shop for $50. I had to sell that amp a year later to buy gas to take my new Bride on a honeymoon to Cali. I always missed that amp....

My tone quest journey passed through MANY an amp over the next 30 years. The past few years I always gravitated back to my '58 narrow panel tweed Tremolux, the sweetest sounding amp I have ever owned. I am finally starting to "get it". The tone I hear in my head is tube rectified cathode biased 6V6 open backed combos.

Feeling nostalgic, I started searching for a tweed champ. Read about Clark Amps here on the Forum. Found a used Lil Bit on FleaBay. When I got that amp - I was FLOORED by the quality and workmanship. After a couple of weeks, I contacted Mr Clark and ordered a 6V6 cathode biased Wateree in a bigger cabinet with a 15" Jensen. It should be done in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, one of our Forum Bro's put up a Beaufort with a Weber Blue Dog - man, how could I pass on that? :D

The Beaufort arrived on Thursday, just in time for my rehersal that night. I also gigged it Friday nite. I AM IN LOVE.

By the way I made a slight modification to both amps - I changed out the red jewel lamp with an AMBER one. It looks so COOL with the lacquered tweed. All 3 of my Clarks will sport them...

Peace,

James

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey guys, I have desire for any tweedy tones, but for those of you who have the 'voxy' or the OLD ac15 circuit Clarks, have any of you played like a 1960 AC15? IF SO, how does yours compare? Is it almost as nice? IS it as nice , PLUS nicer? Is it just the same , but with some different features? Totally curious. THANKS!!! ERIC

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

lol,

what's this i see? Mr. "RAWK" thinking of picking up an AC stylie amp? ;)

but from all accounts, Eric, heard Mike's vox repro's are the shizz.

FYI, i'll be getting my Grifton head in a few days. prepare for yet another Jokerplasticfantastic review. :cool:

btw, used my LTD last night at a friend's church revival, and holy crap, didnt touch my overdrive pedal once. just used my volume knob the whole night! also, the volume knobs are interactive, ala "jumping the channels" on a plexi four input, so i could get a range of cool tones as well. very nice.

18. ericb

Gosh I love VOXES!!! I have a Hiwatt preamp I love (it's not the real thing as their amps are but it's just great) , love my Valvetronix if it was dependable and love my old Fenders. I have Very broad tastes and have loved anything VOxy since the 70's! However, just haven't owned one.. I bought a Tophat CRII once and chose it over an AC30 without hearing it , and ended up preferring the Ac30 for what it does... Lots of us use certain style amps at our gigs, but still love loads of tones! ERIC

19. garbud

garbud Member

Eric,

I think it is every bit of an old 60's AC15 and then some. This amp "NAILS IT":D. My actual playing experience with an old 60's AC15 is limited, but I've heard my share. The amp works real well with pedals also. The GMA matches up incredibly well as does a ProAnalog Dual Drive. As far as features, it has 2 volumes and 1 tone control (high cut), and no vibrato/tremolo. The rest is in the hands, but it defintely isn't a one trick pony. I've tried it with different cabs and speakers and have found the Clark open back 2X12 with Celestion Blues to be outstanding.

Garbud

20. ericb

Thanks Gary, it sure sounds like that must be an incredible amp. 60's ac15's are let's see over 4000.00 now and beat to hell! These will last another 40 years and sound as good or better. GOod deal! ERIC