clark,victoria,louis,swart what are the differences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by raildog, Apr 21, 2008.

1. raildog

raildog Member

Hi can anyone tell me the tonal differences between these amps, the clark piedmont, victoria victorrette, louis kr12, swart ast. looking for tweed heaven, tell me about them.thanks,Scott

2. Sam Cannon

Sam Cannon Member

I've owned every amp or still do and I would say if you are looking for tweed heaven you can't go wrong with the piedmont. I've put nos tubes in mine and it sounds just great. The victorrette is just wimpy IMO. the Louis kr12 is a great amp but not really tweed to me, it will peal the skin off of your face also, I love Lou's work and if you're looking for tweed then look into the tremolux. It is very solid and much larger sounding than a one speaker amplifier. The Swart AST is a great sounding little amp but lacks balls in a band situation. So, I would check out the Clark or Louis Tremolux, both are the real deal for the tweed sound and take pedals very well.

good luck

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If you're looking for Tweed from Victoria, the Victoriette isn't the one. Their Tweed deluxe, bassman, bandmaster, pro and twin clones are pretty special though.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

If I diidn't build them myself, Clay Hullett would have built my Champ and Super clones. If you're not buildin' them yourself, Clay is the MAN.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Scott, the makers you listed all do great work in the tweed vein, but the specific models you are comparing are apples and oranges.

How much wattage do you need? Are you playing in a band or at home? Do you need reverb and tremolo? Do you like 10" or 12" speakers? Is portability a concern?

6. raildog

raildog Member

playing at home and with friends in open jams probably need at least 20 watts, like 12 in speakers, weight is a issue. and i like reverb more than tremolo.thanks,Scott

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with the Swart. Portable, nice tweed-inspired tones, nice volume for home use and occasional jams. Or maybe a tweed Deluxe clone like a Clark Beaufort (no reverb or trem).

8. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I love grabbing my Swart, a cord and my guitar and setting up wherever I like. I prefer the Swart to a Deluxe 5e3 circuit - less compressed, etc.

9. raildog

raildog Member

just bought a louis kr12, hope it is the shi#@$%^!!!!

10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

First, I have a Victoria 20112 and I challenge anyone to say it is whimpy.

I have changed the speaker to a Red Fang which gives it a bit more head room and a lot more volume but this thig witha tele is magical. No whimpyness at all. Great amp.

11. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

You want tweed heaven and reverb, lightweight, 12 inch speaker? Hard to go wrong with a Clark Beaufort w/reverb. That is "Tweed heaven."

12. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

+1000!!! A Victoriette AIN't tweed

13. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

I know you guys are going to think I am crazy but here is an amp
    that I think kicks the 5e3 ass and still does alot of the same things

its a JMI AC4

its a take on the Vox AC 4 from the sixties.

it is a EL 84 amp and I know you guys will think I am nuts
    but I have built a 5e3 deluxe from a kit from mission amps
    so I know alittle bit about this subject.

you know how the 5e3 gets that rich thick insane output tube distortion
    think claptons beano "all your loving"

the JMI does that even better - alot better with a much better high end.

i was a real 6v6 guy but wow the EL84 done right reallly spanded the classic deluxe

in fact I am moving up to their AC10 clone very soon.

just something to think about

[​IMG]

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

raildog,

Congrats on taking the plunge. Check out the owner's forum on the Louis Electric website. You're in for quite a pleasant experience when you get your amp.

Tom

15. c-dub

c-dub Member

:mad::tapedshut

16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

"[...the Louis kr12 is a great amp but not really tweed to me,...]"

Sam's right. It's loosely based on a tweed circuit. If you're looking for a tweed clone the Victorias, Clarks, and Hulletts (and don't forget Louis Electric makes some of the best tweed Twins made) are going to be very hard to beat. Just remember, with all the amps mentioned here you're talking cream of the crop...some of the finest amps made on the planet. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Tom

17. Richards

Richards Member

How would you then describe the tone of a KR-12 with 6L6's?? I know it has some early Marshall overdrive tones, but what about the cleans? and edge of breaking up tones?.....are they more brown era Fender?? Thanks/Richards

18. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yes, I would describe the 6L6 version of the KR-10/12 that I own as very "brownish" sounding cleans. The cleans are very deep, pure, and crystalline. The breakup is very smooth on top and is rich with harmonics. Same with the upper mids and mids, but it's very punchy in the midrange. Much stronger, punchier, fatter, mids than the Victoria Pro with Weber P15N I used to own (another superb sounding amp). This amp (Louis KR-10/12), along with the Louis Electric Tremblelux I also own, do the "clean sustain" thing better than any other amp I've owned. And I LOVE that since my style of playing is toward the clean end of the spectrum with just enough light overdrive to make notes...sustain. The EL-34 version of my amp is not really that much different than the 6L6 version except it has a little more of the Marshall sizzle on top. The cleans in the EL-34 are surprisingly similar to the 6L6 except they're perhaps a little more subdued. Until I played the EL-34 version of my KR-10/12 I never thought of EL-34 amps as having great cleans. The EL-34 versions of the KR-12 and KR-10/12 definitely do.

Tom