1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clark vs Victoria

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by boogieongtr, Oct 24, 2005.

1. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

Has anyone compared the Victoria 20112 to the Clark Beaufort?? I'd like to get one of the 5E3 designs but am undecided.
    Thanks

2. KenSea

KenSea Member

I was considering the same thing, but wasnt able to really compare them . They both have a great rep, most ppl seem to favor the Clark. With all this said I couldnt buy something without hearing it first and purchased a Carr Rambler which I am very happy with. The Space Tone is very good too.

I hope this helps.

3. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have played the Victoria and think it is an absoutely killer amp. Lush, alive, and has plenty of attitude.
    Tone for days. You really can't go wrong.

That being said, I have heard great things about the Clarks as well.

My guess is you'd be happy with either.....ie...there is no wrong choice.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

mike clark is a tweed god. not the God. just a tweed god. :p

after owning 3 amps, he's fast becoming one of my all time fav builders.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

As someone brought up the NYCTF in another thread I've got to say that that event was my introduction to Clark amps and they are my current Tweed favs apart from TeddyS' 57' Professional original which is an astonishing amp!

Best, Pete.

6. johnny q

johnny q Member

Check out the 80 watt Twinmaster by Louis Electric, one of the best tweed style amps I ever played, bar NONE.

JQ

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Both are excellent but I've found the Clark to be just a notch above in lead dress, quality of wood & tweed, etc.

And the tone is impeccable.

8. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

Looks like I can't go wrong with either one of the amps. The nearest dealer is like 4 -5 hours away so all of your input is very much appreciated and valued. I also know the key ingredient is the speaker. Any thoughts on a favorite speaker. One that will allow the most clean headroom and also break up for rhythm & leads. How about pedals with these amps. I play a Grosh Retro Classic strat and a Max LP with original PAF pickups.

You guys are great!!! Many Thanks for your time.

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

I did compare them, and the clear winner was Clark. This was a few years ago and I still have the Clark Beaufort.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1 I've owned both company's version of the 59 tweed bassman and preferred the Clark. It simply sounded more like a real one. Weber speakers in the Clark don't hurt either and the resale on the Clarks is very good.

11. johnny q

johnny q Member

If I am not mistaken, arent the Clark amps priced better than the Victorias???

JQ

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have no direct experience with Victorias, really looking forward to trying out the Victoria 35115, also their Regal model.

My experience with Clarks is limited to the Tyger. Hard to generalize from one amp, but I'll bet it's the same through the entire Clark line. This Tyger is impressive in every way. I'd love to try his version of the Tremolux, forget the name.

13. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I have a Clark Beaufort here at my shop for sound files at the moment...the amp's tone and workmanship are stellar.

Mike Clark has a degree or attention to detail that must be seen and heard to be appreciated.

14. brianf

brianf Member

I have only played Victoria's and not the Clark's.

Of the 4 (maybe 5) Victoria's that I have played, they were all fantastic. Great tone, great workmanship, no cabinet rattles (even on 4 or 5 year old ones) all around great product. Mark Baier is also very proud and passionate about his product. Great guy as well.

I tried to become the distributor for Ontario about a year or so ago and got to speak with Mark several times. He knows and stands behind his products.

The project never moved forward though because the cost of CSA (Canadian certification) was cost prohibative. Full bi-lingual packaging and manuals would also have been required.

I cannot believe stupid canada does not accept UL or CE certification. Amazing!!!!!

Oh, and I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Clark product either!!!

brianf

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea,

its amazing how mike's amps arent that much more popular, especially on a board like this.

sure, you can only buy from one dealer and hisself, but the benefits are well worth it.

also, his amp packing is by far the most secure, not to mention annoying to deal w/... but i guess whatever makes the amp that much more c-4 proof... ;)

16. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

Thanks for all the input. I will have to buy a used amp so which ever one comes up first I'll take a go at.

It has been 25 years since I last played a tweed. I was playing an original '59 bassman for about a year and remember it was one of the best tones I ever had. I guess it's time for another one.

17. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

I just noticed there is a Weber Double Deluxe on this forum for sale. Any input?????????????

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Boogieongtr:

There was a Clark Tyger up for sale as of 2 days ago on ebay, by Stu (I think that's his name) under the name BiasedMullard. It looks good, and I can tell you for damn sure these things sound good. I do not know how Clarks sound w/o reverb. My Tyger has the built-in 3-knob unit, which sounds so good I haven't yet run the amp without it.