1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Class 5 LP refin

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ian S, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Ian S

Ian S Member

I've been considering having my Class 5 LP refined (just the top, really). I bought it because it was literally the only flame LP w/ a long neck tenon that I could find in Toledo, OH in the summer of 2002. I've always thought that the color (tangerine burst) was a bit much for my traditional tastes.

I've been toying with the idea of a refin for a few months now, and I just spoke with Lowel guitars. Aaron informed me that he could refin the top in thin nitro, but he said that Gibson treats the maple to bring out the flame. He was suggesting that, IF he sands the finish off the top, the maple might be stained bby Gibson. That might require a refin only in a strong color like a cherry burst (which would be okay, but not my fav -- honeburst or tabacco).

I thought that Gibson discontinued staining the maple in the early 2000's. So, finally my question: Does anyone know if the Class 5 has any special staining below the laquer?

Thanks for any help or related advice!

2. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Too my knowledge, Gibson stopped "Double Staining" in the late 90's. (Where a stain is applied, then sanded so certain grain patterns are more prominent, than the whole top is stained again).

Should be no problem to re-spray the top in the color of your choice.

... and by the way, I love Tangerine Burst!!!

3. Ian S

Ian S Member

Thanks for the input! I agree, the tangerine is cool -- just not very traditional. ...very eye catching. Maybe I should just sell. I'm so fickle. :D

4. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I had a Class5 in Tangerine Burst (see the pic below) I loved the guitar but hated the colour, in the end I bought a '57 reissue and sold the Class5 for more than I paid for it or the R7 (I bought both in the States and was living in the UK at the time). My opinion is that if you like the guitar but don't like the colour then have it refinished, I think mine would have looked fantastic in Tabacco Sunburst.

Sorry I have no input into you actual question about double staining. Great guitars I miss the flames..........

Cheers,

Chris.

[​IMG]

5. NickVig

NickVig Member

Post a couple of pics, I'm sure there's a lot of guys here who could give you their opinion on how it was finished, i.e. double stained, or just shot color.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking guitar Chris. I do hear you about the color - it's almost like looking at a shirt that looks good on display, but when I wear it, it looks funny.

I've enjoyed some time in Wellington - my pal David Weinstein lives near Porirua. I hung out with jazzer Kevin Clarke over there as well - went to a gig or two as well.

Great city, great country, and some great musicians too.

Dana O.

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Monster Tones pic doesn't look like there is any stain to me. If your's looks like his, I would say you are safe with any color.

Posting pics would surely tell the tale.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure yours is probably not stained. Again, lets see a pic.

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Ian-
    You might ask your paint guy about overspraying a light coat of amber tinted clear nitro...this might tone down the tangerine into more of an iced tea? Just a thought.
    Greg

9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't touch the Tangerine Burst!
    I think it's perfect