Class 5 Mods?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JeffOlson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Have any of you Class 5 owners modified your amp in any way? If so, what have you done, and how do you like the changes?

I have done the following to my Class 5 combo (one of the newer, white ones):

• Replaced both 12AX7 pre-amp tubes with 12AT7 tubes for a softer, less gainy sound

• Replaced the JJ EL84 power amp tube with a Mullard EL84 for a softer overdriven sound (with earlier breakup)

• Removed the metal back grill and the tube retainer to make it easier to swap out tubes

• Removed the lower back panel to make the amp more open-backed for a softer, more 3D, less bass-heavy sound

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am curious if anyone has tried adding a master volume and then adding a switch to bypass it.

3. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Well, to start with the last question: mine has a defeatable MV. I forgot the company's name, but it's basically a voltage regulator inside the circuit. To be honest, I haven't really tries it yet, as i like it enough without it. I will try it out and report here later. I heard the Class5's circuit was based on the JTM, but higher gain. In those amps, a MV is useless IMO. But that's just speculation.

There's already some reports on the use of lower gain pre amp tubes. Check the other threads about how loud the Class5 is.

4. pgissi

pgissi Member

a Class 5 mod I use, run 2 of them in tandem, stacked up

5. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

6. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member