Class A pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by polifemo, Aug 3, 2006.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

I know what a "Class A" amp is and how it works, but what is a "Class A" pedal :confused:

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's just a guess but...pretty much all pedals?

I mean...I think it has to do with the gain structure as well, but simplified, I would guess it means that one transistor is handling the full range of the output signal instead of being a push-pull?

In short...dunno...

3. polifemo

polifemo Member

The MI Audio "Tube Zone" is described as having "Single ended class A output" while their other pedals aren´t described that way.

But, I dunno either...

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have a Pharoah Class "A" boost, but I don't know what it means..............

5. polifemo

polifemo Member

This is from the Emma website, describing the "RF-1 ReezaFRATzitz-pedal":

With the inclusion of a bias control the user is allowed to adjust the inner workings of the amplifier from class B ( far left) to class A ( far right) and anywhere in between, altering the harmonic structure of the signal and providing a much wider variety of tonal options than your standard OD/ dist. pedal.

Anyone...

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Class A is about power transfer, IN AMPS. CLass A pedal is just talking ****. inless like the EMMA which is using "class A" and "Class B" to DESCRIBE the sounds of the circuit. So a AMP with a Class A output means 100% of power is transfered into to a working sound throught the tubes and the circuit. Whereas class B is 50%, class C 25% and so on.

hope this helps and clears up a few details

Aj

7. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

"Class A" pedal = HYPE

from Boogies website:

Let’s start by making an important distinction between “class of operation” and “power configuration”. These are two separate concepts that describe two different aspects of an amplifier and how it works. Most people mix them together and that only adds to the confusion, even though they are related. So let’s try to straighten it out by explaining each one separately. These terms are usually used when describing the power output section of an amplifier because that’s where the differences occur. Nearly every pre-amp circuit ever used is the same in that they are all “single ended” and “Class A”.

Dist,OD,Boost = preamp.

My 1/2 cent (thanks Randall)

9. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Amp in this case does not mean just guitar amps. I'll paste the relevent wiki Electronic Amplifier quote:

"Many Class A designs use only a single device. Transistors are much cheaper, and so more elaborate designs that give greater efficiency but use more parts are still cost effective. A classic application for a pair of class A devices is the long-tailed pair, which is exceptionally linear, and forms the basis of many more complex circuits, including many audio amplifiers and almost all op-amps." The highlights were links in the original (if it looks like links when I post this).

So, it's not really crap. The term can be mis-used just like most of these terms are when manufactuers are trying to make their pedal stand out, but can be a valid claim if they're using anything like an op-amp. It's just not the same as a Class A guitar amp.

10. jhc

jhc Senior Member

When is it not a valid claim when talking about ODs/boosts/distortions? From what I read above, they're all "Class A" so using that as a descritpive is pretty worthless.

11. iggs

iggs Member

Not if it's going to sell more units to all those looking for certain keywords in product descriptions ... :rolleyes:

12. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Yeah. Of course, not all gain circuts are class A since not all parts are Class A, but it's common. The quote was for the post who said that there isn't such a thing as a class A pedal. There is, but it really doesn't mean any thing fancy or exotic. I suppose the pedal makers think it denotes an extra aire of quality to justify the cost.
    In summary: Valid claim, mostly hype, does exist. :AOK