Class D power amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by dB, Mar 10, 2018.

1. dB

dB Member

Any suggestions for a Class D power amp? I'm putting together a rig using a Sarno V8 as the preamp and am thinking something Class D for the amp.

I've got my eye on the Demeter Minnie 800 and GSS Sumo, and possibly a Quilter of some sort. The Sumo is the most intriguing at the moment.

2. olejason

olejason Member

Those are all fine choices. Genzler, Mesa, and Aguilar are also always worth a look.

bottom crawler likes this.
  3. sprag

sprag Member

Bergantino should get a look in

BloopBloop likes this.
  4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Powestage 700 for the same purpose?

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Maybe it's just me, but I have used a few power/pre rigs. I'm wondering why you would want to spend $800 on a power amp to use with a bass pre?

6. Mincer

Mincer Member

If you get your tone 100% from the preamp, the PowerStage 700 would be a great choice. I'd think most people would want the interaction/coloration a tube poweramp provides with those kinds of preamps, though.

7. dB

dB Member

I don't get the question. I need some sort of power amp to use with the pre, so I can run some speaker cabs. Are you asking why spend $800, when there less expensive power amp options?

8. dB

dB Member

That looks interesting. I can't quite figure out what it is...a power amp that has an eq?

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Much less expensive.

10. dB

dB Member

Valid point. Marketing and internet forums would lead you to believe that they are all not created equally...and the more expensive ones are better?

I have no idea...this is my first venture into class D.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It's just power. Plenty of clean power amps that are light. No need to be bass centric.

12. Mincer

Mincer Member

Yes, so you can tailor it to the room without having to go diving into your preamp or pedals to adjust for a different setting. It really works, too.

13. BloopBloop

BloopBloop Member

Yes, Forte or B|Amp

14. sears

sears Member

I would get a Crown or Crest/Peavey PA amp. It's a commodity and while you enjoy your new, used, cheap PA amp you can test out other alternatives, flipping it when you pounce on something better. (Though if you're not clipping it I'm not sure there is "better.")

15. sneman

sneman Member

I love my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 (one of the first of the class D amp heads), so anything by Jeff Genzler gets my vote. Crown makes great power amps, although I have no idea about their class D offerings.

16. electricity17

electricity17 Supporting Member

I'm using a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 head, works well into a Rumble 2x10 cab. I did a session in the studio with an Arkham Octling tube preamp plugged into the power amp of the GB (bypassing the pre). I think it's better for an old school tone than the tube preamp that's built into the GB, but not necessarily worth dragging it to every bar gig.

I've heard the Sumo power amp is nice, but have no experience with it.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Carvin has good deals on power amps right now.

18. bottom crawler

bottom crawler Member

19. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The thing with Class D power amps is that they require a lot of limiting as they will sound really nasty if run beyond their limits. Manufacturers are all over the place with unrealistic power ratings. You need a really good module to deliver the goods and bass frequencies require the most power. A power amp that might work great for a lead guitar application may let you down if you're using it to power a 410 bass cab pumping a low B string.

The old rule of thumb for sound reinforcement was to double the wattage rating of your power amp relative to your speaker system. The sound tech for our band prefers the old lead sled power amps but everything is pretty much going class D. He told me with class D he uses 3 times the power. I guess when you're running 6000-9000 watts with big subs and line arrays for an outdoor show the difference in headroom between various power amps becomes quite apparent. YMMV

20. gumtown

gumtown Member

If it is a good quality reputable brand class D amp, you should get RMS watts as per label.
    If you are needing 3 x the power, he must be using BEHRINGER amps :bonk

I built myself a little compact 500watt (RMS) 4 x 6.5" combo practice bass amp, using a 500 watt SMPS and 500 watts class D amp module from eBay/China, with a Fender/Alembic style tube preamp.

For a gigging class D amp, 800 Watts into 4/2 ohms seems about the "run of the mill" type these days.
    I have been recently looking at the MESA Subway D800+ amp and lightweight cabs, wanting to replace my 2 (back breaking) Marshall VB400 all tubers and 8x10 fridges.

agedhorse likes this.