Class guitar performance pieces

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jdalew619, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jdalew619

jdalew619 Member

Can anyone recommend multi-part acoustic songs for groups of guitarists to perform?

I'm going to have my high school guitar class put on a spring concert, and since this is my first year teaching it, I have little idea where to start.

One idea is to have a group concert where all 15 of us are banging out the same chords. Kinda meh.

I checked out Richard Tyborski's "Classroom Guitar," and he's got some cool four part guitar compositions for beginners. Most of the pieces aren't more than 16 or 20 measures long, though.

Anyone know of more sources out there for compositions for small guitar ensembles?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Why not, instead of having them all play at the same time, make an arrangement of it and have say, 3 of them play at a time, doing one part of the song, then 3 other guys take over and do a few bars, etc.
    Have each do one of the arrangements, transpose the keys if you need to so one arrangement starts at the end of another.

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I used to play in a classical guitar orchestra years ago - we had about 20 of use split into 1st Guitar, 2nd Guitar, 3rd Guitar and Bass sections.

It was awesome fun. I will hunt through my files tonight and see if I can find some of the arrangements that we used to play.

If I remember correctly, one of our players found an arrangement for Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" for 4 guitars...we never got around to trying it out but I thing it would have sounded awesome!

4. jdalew619

jdalew619 Member

Thanks for the great ideas. Definitely will try both. Today I had them do a 4 part "When the Saints, go..."and it was fun. Some modern songs arranged in this format would be a treat. Thanks for all your help.