classic 30 setups?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neastguy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

Ok, I know a lot of you have had a c30....just wanted your input on what worked best for you in terms of pedalboard configs to get the most out of it. would you run a ts-9 off the clean channel to get SRV and the run a Fulldrive on channel 2 for over the top gain.... you get the idea....thanks......

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've got a C30 (although it's in pieces right now) and used a 1x15 Delta Blues for a couple of years. They can be pretty boxy sounding, so you have to be real picky with your dirtbox. I haven't tried the OCD, but if it's a little scooped sounding it would probably be a perfect match for the Classic/Delta Blues amps.

3. John Bell

John Bell Member

The RC Booster sounds great in both channels as does the AC which is a bit more midrangy and has more gain.I use both,but the RC gets the nod ususally.I also have used a boss delay through the loop which works nice.

4. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

I use the clean channel almost exclusively with pedals. Hermida Grinder and Zen (wow they rock). Danelectro/Wasabi Overdrive works sweet too and provides massive boost for solos (1 button engages the OD 2nd button engages the boost, they can be used independent of one another). Also have Digitech X-Series pedals (didgidelay and multichorus) they both sound great. Finally a Danelectro Tunamelt tremolo. All mounted on SKB PS15-6 powered board and run into the front of the amp.

The board gives me everything I need through the Classic30. Very happy, very portable, very versatile.

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I use a Digitech GNX2 in the loop for vol, wah, chorus, delay, etc and it works very well. I happen to like the stock sound of the lead channel, though I use a Jensen Neo speaker in that amp (and most everything else I own). But it also does fine with lead pedals into the clean channel. I've used lots and they all work, with their own flavor. I'm loving my Mosferatu and Zendrive pedals these day so they can sit in front of the amp. But I've gigged lots with that amp with no lead pedals, just the lead channel with great results.

jon

6. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I need to go try one, but how much gain is on tap with a bucker in the bridge and no pedal? ac/dc SRV or scorpionish?......just a gestimation please....

I have that zinky head witch is very cool, but I would like to try the c30 head and set it up with some pedals.... the zinky doesnt need any pedals....IMO

7. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

Plenty of gain on the dirty channel. AC/DC to Scorpions for sure, not sure what to say about SRV with the amp without additional pedals run on the clean channel.

8. bluesdoc

What John said. It can get pretty hot, in a good way.

jon

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I've use a DB15 on a couple of occasions and really quite liked it but it seems to have a bit of a compressed feel about it in the clean mode. Anyone else notice this?

10. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I've had a Classic 30 for years. I seemed to have the best results running overdrives into the clean channel. I've used AnalogMan and Keeley modded pedals (TS9, SD1, SD9, BD2) and they have all sounded good. I replaced the stock speaker with a V30 and put JJ power tubes in. I did some experimenting with preamp tubes, too. I've used 12AT7's in V1 and V3 and a 12AX7 in V2. I bought a Dr. Z Mazerati in January, so that's been my main rig since then.
    The Z definitely has a more open, lively sound. A lot more low end, too. Using an extension cabinet with the Classic 30 helps a LOT, too! I've used a Marshall closed-back 1X12 as well as a Peavey open-backed 1X15 (which I'll probably be selling soon).
    Hope this helps.

jz

11. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

For jams and smaller rooms my C-30 is IT! I really need a good 15 watter but I have compensated by putting an old ? 12au7 in V1, A 12AT7 in V2 and a 12AT7 in PI. This has lowered my total output considerably and lets me crank both channels and get a good basic tone at a reasonable volume. I use a Bad Monkey, on all of the time as a preamp with the level at about noon and the bass and treble full. Gain at 0. This thickens things up nicely. I use the clean channel for clean and the gain channel for crunchy rythmn. I boost the clean and gain channel with a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster for leads.
    I have Greenback and sometimes also plug in a Mesa 1x12 Thiel cab with a Black Shadow C90 in it.
    Works great!

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I was thinking about picking one of these up as a backup amp. Any suggestions on a replacement speaker. I like the Celestion classic lead 80, what do you guys think?

Thanks, Harry

13. bluesdoc

I've had a Jensen Neo in mine for the last year. Great speaker and helps make the C30 even more portable. That said, I just got a Celestion Century Vintage that I put in a 1 12 cab and I love it. Definite competition to the Jensen Neo.

jon