Classic 50 speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. G., Sep 7, 2005.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

What kind of speakers would you suggest for a PV Classic 50? The stock speakers just don't do it for me at all. I've tried G12T-75's, but they were a little harsh and lifeless. Currently is has a Wizard and a Governor in it which sounds very nice, but they must go back in the 4x12 cab now. So, what kind of speakers would ya'll suggest, or have experience with, with this amp? I play mainly hard rock a la G'N'R, AC/DC, & VH. I also throw a bunch of other stuff in too ranging from blues to metal, but mainly the hard rock stuff. I'll give you my exact setup (as of now) so you know what I'm working with.

PRS Custom 22 / Schecter C1 Blackjack ---> Ernie Ball volume pedal ---> Cry Baby wah ---> MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive ---> Boss CH-1 chorus ---> amp ---> Boss DD-3 delay ---> Digitech reverb ---> MXR 6 band eq ---> amp.

Amp settings are very roughly (all o'clock) clean volume 10-11, lead pre 1-2, post 4-5, bass 1-2, mid 2-3, treble 5, presence 10-12, master 8-11 (anything more will cause hearing damage), again all o'clock. On the MXR I do a little boost at 200, 400 & 1.6, and a little cut at 800, and I leave it on.

So there ya go... any ideas?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Try mixing a -75 with a -55.

I had a pair of Vintage 30s in my C50 2x12 at one point and really enjoyed that tone, but I wasn't maxing out the gain.

--chiba

3. tubez

tubez Suspended

How do you like the eminence wizard and govenor? I am looking into a new cab myself and interested in possibly going with the eminence.

4. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I think it's a great combination. Though, my experience with different speakers and speaker combinations is extremely limited, I know what sounds good to my ears. It has a nice punchy fullness to it.

5. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I've heard good reports from people who put a pair of greenbacks in classic 50's. It seems like I heard someone say G12H30's sounded good also. But I've really heard more about the greenbacks, FWIW. They'd be a step up from the stock blue marvels.

6. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I've heard the same. I have Reverend Alltones in mine. Nice speakers but surely not the best choice to bring out the British character of the EL84s. Now it's more Americanized/Fenderized.

7. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I've heard Greenbacks too, but I'm not sure that they would be efficient enough for my taste. See, I don't really like speaker breakup. I defanately want something with a british flavor to it that brings out the throatyness and punch of the amp.

One more note... I'd like to keep the price around +/- 200. Less is alway's better though :rolleyes:

8. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Maybe Eminence Private Jacks. Greenback flavor but with more efficiency (I think??).

9. MuseCafeChris

I bought a quad of Eminence GB12s yesterday from Avatar for $39 a pop. 50 watts each, more bottom end, might be what you're looking for. Only available in 16 ohm though.

10. MuseCafeChris

Sorry to hijack, but a question for Classic 50 2x12 owners: what are the 2 tranny taps, 8 & 4 or 16 & 8?

11. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Taps are 16 and 8ohms.
    I put Alltones in my C50. It opened it up a little, but I sold it a ways back so it's tough to remember.
    I have an Avatar with a Governor and a Wizard. Great gain speakers. Very Bassy. Cleans are OK.

12. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

I stuck Reverend Alltones in mine and it sounds great.

13. Dave Rich

Dave Rich Member

I did a little shoot out of speakers for my C50 a while back which included Rev Alltones. Surprisingly, the stock speakers did pretty well, but I slightly preferred Weber alnico Blue Dogs. I gigged with the Blue Dogs several times, but last week they must have finally broken in because they went from pretty good to "I am a Tone God!" I can't wait to play through them again.

14. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

I doubt running that amp at 8oclock to 11oclock would break up two greenbacks.