Classic 80s: Cult of Personality by Living Color featuring John Friedrich on Vocals

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Rock Fella, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I just love this song, I recorded all the gtrs using my 2001 R9 and POD 2.0 , a guy from guitars 101 called John Friedrich did an awesome job on the vocals. Vernon Reid , the gtr player for Living Color was a very much a tear it up kinda player and I enjoyed cuting loose on this one.

Hope you enjoy it, click the 1st fretmarker to open the mp3.
    http://web.onetel.com/~jamesmichael21/

Thanks for checking us out.

Jimmy

2. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Wow, you're covering a lot of ground that is very familiar to me! This is just great- really enjoyed it!

:D

Mike

3. dmczern

dmczern Member

WOWA !! Nice work !

I love this song !

Cheers :BEER

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

THANKYOU so very very much guys :BEER

This link is where at guitars101 we do covers of rock and metal tracks that can be hosted onsite and downloadable to members, the site has amongst it members who are easily pro standard guitarists and vocalists and lots of recording and technical expertise to share , its a bona fide musicians community.

check it out http://www.guitars101.com/vb/mp3-covers-heavy-rock-metal/

Jimmy

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

That's just freakin' killer.... I love that weird hollow tone Vernon had on the original -- and your tone is excellent on it.

That's all through a Pod, you say?

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

yeah, its the basic pod2.0 recorded thru my audigy platinum 1 soundcard, having a guitar like an R9 helps a bit LOL.....but the pod is a super recording tool, mic`ing up cabs and ear splitting volume .......couldnt be bothered, the pod does very nicely indeed imo.

its so nice to see music of this genre getting feedback, i get frustrated when i see lots of feedback over some odd jazz number by somebody ive never heard of with loads of opinions expressed etc...........cult was a huge 80s classic hit, yet drifts by with good viewing stats .....but few bother to leave feedback.

your comments are graciously received and i thank you.

jimmy

7. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Great Job... love Living Color! Playing is great and you really caught the tone... although Vernon's tone was never something I actually felt much need to emulate. ;) Vocalist did a really good job.... Corey Glover is one of the greats.

Now for your next challenge, how bout something from Extreme....

8. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I always thought that the tone should match the song... we wouldn't sing the same lyrics to every song (although, come to think of it, lots of blues guys do essentially that very thing), so each song should get its own tonal treatment.

For Cult of Personality, it's a song about our illusions and how we deceive ourselves. Vernon Reid's tone fit *perfectly* into that song, like it grew there. Allman Brothers tone wouldn't have been nearly as effective in getting the message of the song across.

Oh, and by the way, your playing was just awesome. You are, officially, the man.

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

Just so you know ( I post on the L6 forum also) I don't think you need to upgrade to the XT. The tone you got there is great!

10. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Yea dude! Always loved that song, it was such a breath of fresh air when
    it the airwaves and mtv back in the day...You did it justice...nice playing,
    tones and production.....dug that

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

thankyou fellas, id love to more living color but big lack of backing tracks out there.

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

excellent job!

I remember reading in GP when he first discovered paralell processing which was post this album... he ran through a bunch of stuff in series
    I love that song and the playing but I always think it would sound better with some raw dry tone mixed in