Classic BF Super Reverb VS. Reissue opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deadflo, Apr 6, 2008.

1. deadflo

deadflo Member

Anyone want to give me their feedback on what they think in comparing the two? I thought I had a chance to buy a 64 BF Super reverb from a friend , but he backed out at the last minute.Said he just couldn't part with it, and he's really a keyboard player!
    Now I see a reissue in like-new condition on craigslist where I live for 650 dollars. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I'd like to hear what some of you guys think.

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

3. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

There was a thread(s) on this subject not long ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/search.php?searchid=6726726

Plenty of info/opinions there.

Put them side by side alone at home and you will here a slight difference which is less noticeable after the speakers break in on the SRRI.
    In a band you won't notice a difference. Been there done that.

PTP wiring is mentioned for modding/repair work but has no effect on tone.
    Also resale value will rise on an original but critical components may fail making it much less valuable.

My personal favorite Fender amp. That is one of the better reissues too.
    Had mine 5 years with no issues at all.
    Change the preamp tubes for a warmer tone. Less bang for your buck on NOS power tubes but if you can swing it go for it.

4. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

That's a beauty! Somethin about those '64's. Must be the Elect.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Ironically, you're virtually comparing apples and oranges. The RI's are generally not very similar in build or sound to an original blackface or silverface. My opinion is a RI doesn't sound bad and can be made to sound pretty decent, but the money you'll spend on speakers, tubes, etc. might be better spent on the real PTP deal. In some cases you'll spend as much trying to get a RI to sound like a real black/silverface as you would purchasing the real thing. Another idea...check out a 40 watt Allen Encore. They sound at least as good as an original Super Reverb and then some. It'll cost about the same, probably a little less, than an original Super Reverb. And it's brand new, PTP handwired, built with top shelf components, hand made by a top notch guy who'll give you top notch service. Check out the Allen Amps website. I think you can get a 40 watt 4x10" Encore for around $1900. maybe? You'd easily pay that for an excellent conditioned blackface. Just a thought. JMHO, YMMV.

Tom

6. hogy

hogy Member

I just don't get it. First sentence of the GP article:

"Introduced in late 1963, the Super Reverb used a pair of 6L6 output tubes and a 5U4 rectifier to pump 45 watts into a quartet of Jensen 10" alnico-magnet speakers."

Wow, that would be wrong, wrong, and wrong. And it would take about 2 minutes on Google to figure that out.

7. shuie

shuie Member

I A/B'ed a '66 and a reissue pretty recently. I don't know the details about either of these particular amps (health, service, updates, replaced parts, etc..), but the reissue was A LOT louder, A LOT bassier, and sounded like garbage when over driven. The '66 sounded better when overdriven, but didnt have enough low end. I actually preferred the reissue for a pure clean sound, but I guess my point is, that the only thing that was even remotely comparable between the two amps was the reverb.

8. KBR

KBR Member

The RI's are dogs, well I like Dogs, they aren't very good, imho.
    See Tom's reply above, He is a Pro, and I agree with that 100%.
    OTOH, I am getting a PTP Vibroverb in a Blonde/Wheat Cab, and an open back same blonde Cab..w 4 Weber VST Alnico's! the VV has a Big OPT, so I am gonna be wailing.

http://www.myspace.com/kennyblueray

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

YEAH!

10. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I own a '64 BFSR and I think the RI sounds good...no worries.

[​IMG]

11. sideman

sideman Member

I didn't like my '64 -- too clean. Sold it and bought a '66 with CTS AlNiCos -- that was the amp. Have not tried a RI. Can't you get most of a BFSR tone out of a lightly modded SFSR with CTS AlNiCos for less than a grand?

12. deadflo

deadflo Member

Interesting input folks! I noticed that guitar player review mentioned the Reissue broke up earlier than the original, which is kind of what i'm looking for, but it sounds like I couldnt go wrong if I find a good old one for a decent price. Too bad I rarely encounter then here in Eastern washington. What's your thoughts on buying one without being able to play through it?

13. bgroup

bgroup Member

Had them side-by-side in my studio recently - there were 3 of us there and we all agreed on the following... both sound like Super Reverbs and one is not remarkably better than the other - just different. The RI is brighter and more compressed sounding, the vintage amp darker with a bit more spank. What was most interesting to us is the vintage sounded WAY better through the RI's cab... and vice versa, the RI sounded WAY better through the vintage's cab. We didn't expect this at all! So, which was better, the vintage thru RI cab or the RI thru vintage cab? No clear winner, just different. And either could be preferable depending on the context. The bottom line? Both are AMAZING amps - the RI seemed to have more versatility. The vintage SR sort of did one thing REALLY well. If the context was old-school funk and r&b, I'd choose the vintage one hands down for the spank. If it was anything else including rock and country, or if the context was even the teeniest bit modern, it would be the RI hands down. For the studio I'd choose the RI for it's versatility. YMMV. Hope this helps.

Brent
    bgroupmusic.com

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I think almost every single vintage amp i've ever played was different. Different volume taper, different compression..etc.

So comparing them isn't realistic. You're comparing a reissue with whatever vintage amps that particular person played recently. Which explains why you get a bunch of comments ranging from "NEVER touch a reissue they suck" to "My vintage sounded like poo next to the reissue".

I STRONGLY prefer the vintage ones because I've really discovered, in my amp tinkering that you can get SO much more tone out of these fenders with a little tweaking here and there that is simply too hard to do with reissues.

Because of this, a vintage could be a billion times better (if someone took the time to make sure all the components are running strong and such) but they could sound a billion times worse (if caps are failing, volume pots have horrible tapers, dirt in the EQ knobs...etc)

For a buy and play amp, the reissues are great amps. But if you are looking to invest in fenders as a tonequest, I think you owe it to yourself to find a vintage one and research what can be done to bring it to its best running condition.

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I originally bought my first BFSR to play the music described above and it was perfect.

Using the right pedal, people who heard me (but couldn't see me) audition it in the sound room at Rogue Music in NYC thought it was a Marshall. With plenty originals still around I'd prefer that to the RI, but people who have them seem to be quite pleased.