• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Classic lead 80/Vintage 30 opinions

6Tones

I have a 2x12 THD cab with Classic leads and a 1X12 with a Vintage 30.
I hear more midrange hump with the Vin30 vs the Lead80s so far..
Can you mix the two together with good results?
If you had to chose only one or the other what would be your choice and why?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I've spent a lot of time with both, but recently switched to a greenback as I like the thick midrange, which seems to even out at higher volumes. I didn't like the mix, I think they are too different and the end result is unfocussed.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I am a big Classic Lead 80 fan. I find it works well with alot of amps. The CL80 has a more nuetral response and is pretty clean overall. the Vintage 30 has a hid hump and adds its own signature bit of grit to the sound.

They mix really well actually.

It depends on the amp as to which one I would choose, but not knowing that I would go with the Classic Lead 80.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I like the CL as the bottom speaker in an 1x12 extension cab with a V30 on top. This is how I used to run my Peavey C30 with the extension cab, and it sounded very full.

freaksho

the chime, big bottom and relaxed mids make the CL80 better for cleans but i don't like them as much for any amount of OD. this opinion comes from a comparison i did that was sort of the negative of yours: [1x12 with CL80] vs [2x12 with V30/G12H30 mix]. this was with a Shiva and the advantage of the CL80 for cleans did not compare to the huge advantage of the V30/G12H30 for all levels of OD.

i did also try mixing them but the CL80 got mostly lost to my ear due to its lower sensitivity (efficiency). this might be something for you to consider as well, though i concede that was a 2 against 1 situation (both the V30 and G12H30 are the same efficiency).

Last edited:

drgonzoguitar

I have a 2x12 THD cab with Classic leads and a 1X12 with a Vintage 30.
I hear more midrange hump with the Vin30 vs the Lead80s so far..
Can you mix the two together with good results?
If you had to chose only one or the other what would be your choice and why?
Yes! THat is what I have in my 212 cab. I love it! If I had to choose one, I would go with the Lead 80. It is a very neutral sounding speaker.

Austinrocks

Vintage 30s sound really nice if you reverse the polarity, probably the same for the Class 80s, lots of rich solid bass, and the boring mid range tone goes away, easy to reverse if you don't like it, safe for amps, just make sure you have all the speakers firing the same way, a 9volt battery, the speakers typically fire out, reversed they fire in and sound much better.

Ricker

Lets see.............A 1x12 will more than likely sound more mid humpy than the sound of a 2x12 regardless of the speakers..........

So I like less middy higher wattage speakers for 1x12s and more middy speakers as you go 2x12 to 4x12.

Greenbacks are not known for bass .....but in a 4x12 they deliver some very nice bottom end.
On the other hand Classic lead 80s are cool for 1x12s as they have alot of bottom end and some extended tops.............
A quad of cl80s would be too much for me.

So to answer your Question based on the above criteria.
CL80 for the 1x12 with it's extended sonic range..........
V30s with it's more narrow sonic range for the 2x12 where the 2x12 will open them up quite a bit.......and even more so in a 4x12

Rick

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
the chime, big bottom and relaxed mids make the CL80 better for cleans but i don't like them as much for any amount of OD. this opinion comes from a comparison i did that was sort of the negative of yours: [1x12 with CL80] vs [2x12 with V30/G12H30 mix]. this was with a Shiva and the advantage of the CL80 for cleans did not compare to the huge advantage of the V30/G12H30 for all levels of OD.

i did also try mixing them but the CL80 got mostly lost to my ear due to its lower sensitivity (efficiency). this might be something for you to consider as well, though i concede that was a 2 against 1 situation (both the V30 and G12H30 are the same efficiency).
The CL80 is only 1dB less in efficiency than the 100dB V30 and G12H30. Not a huge difference....

Trending Topics