Classic Marshall amp users, I have a question.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarInnovations, Mar 3, 2019.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

What's your favorite clean boost to push your Marshall over the edge?

I want something cheap, but totally transparent and can run on a 9 volt battery.

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Boss OD3 is a looooong time favourite of the Marshall peeps

Riffa likes this.
  3. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I think the Timmy is supposed to be “transparent”, and it does sound great with a classic Marshall. An EQ is another good option for this. A used boss ge7 would be cheap and can run on a 9v.

I personally prefer “colored” boosts though. Bad Bob, SD-1, Klone, and my new favorite Metropoulos Supa Boost.

4. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

SUPA BOOST. It’s so good. SO good. From the moment I clicked it on I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

Considering I just bought one and it is #77 I’d say this pedal is still under the radar but i think it’s going to be a huge homerun for George once more get out in the wild and word gets out.

Teleman76 and Echoplexi like this.
  5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Yep, especially when the smaller production run gets going. It’s just phenomenal sounding. Mine is #74 so pretty close to yours.

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  6. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

BCC Iommi Boost is perfectly this.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  7. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Neither are really cheap, but the best pedals I’ve found (after going through over 100) are:

JHS Colour Box
    EHX tube Black Finger

The black finger isn’t great as a compressor but it’s absolutely fantastic as a booster into a cranked Marshall.

8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Used as a clean boost (gain at zero), EHX Soul Food is good and cheap. Can run on battery and has a switchable buffer.

9. Tightloops65

Tightloops65 Member

Cheap? It's very hard to beat a good ole' Boss SD-1 or Fulldrive II. However, they do have a slight mid-hump but really sound nice pushing the front end of a Marshall. Also, you can't go wrong with a Timmy. The Timmy has less compression and less of a mid boost than the others mentioned.

NortheastHick, djw and matt1969 like this.
  10. jlinde

jlinde Member

Tc Spark boost is the best I've found.

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Colour Box with a Marshall? My Marshall is grindy and bright. Isn’t the Colour Box bright? Can you elaborate as to why..this has been on my radar for sometime.

12. matt1969

matt1969 Member

TC Spark sounded like total crap boosting my 1974 Superlead. It added a very weird honky type sound. The best I ever tried and still use is the BOSS SD-1. It colors the sound a little but in very good, musical way, especially for live use.

tubekingsley likes this.
  13. jlinde

jlinde Member

Funny how people's ears hear differently. I was never crazy about the SD-1 for a boost.

dirtyloveguns likes this.
  14. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Ive tried many and the best is the TS808HW (not cheap) but the sound of gtr into marshall is unique, if you really love it any pedal in between will make you lose something ...change to high-output pickups? ;-)

GeorgeNada likes this.
  15. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

I have a vintage MXR Micro Amp that I really love, but since it's battery only & no LED, I only use it at home (plexi 1987 50w clone, and JCM800 1x12 50w combo), and not gigging. I have no idea how the current Micro Amps compare to the vintage ones, but you might check that out for a clean boost.

kakev and tubekingsley like this.
  16. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I don't setup like this anymore, but when if I did I'd be looking for a parametric eq.

Badtone likes this.
  17. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I really like the sound of a TS-type pedal pushing a Marshall. My longtime favorite is the WHE Green Rhino - that pedal is a beast.

18. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

The trick, for me, was the really just use it as a booster to push my 2061 over the edge and keep it transparent. The eq section on the CB is really good, too, but the main reason I liked it was because I could dial it in to sound just like my amp but with “more”.

EXP likes this.
  19. jm9239

jm9239 Member

+1 for the Timmy. I love it with all my Marshalls (and other amps).

rawkguitarist likes this.
  20. meowmers

meowmers Member

In this case the amp is doing the hearing according to the characteristics of the boost pedal.

Most OD pedals would work, but some work better with the most unsuspecting settings, might even look stupid but you're ultimately goosing the amp into doing something beyond itself. Always fun to experiment.