Classic Marshall heads thru JBL D120's...anyone tried?

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
I have a couple of these speakers in really great shape, been boxed up for a long time. They came out of a 1970 Twin but are not the orange-frame D120F...they are the standard grey-frame 8 ohm JBL D120's.

Im being very lazy by asking before I bother to cab them and try! Anyone have comments? They seem to be well regarded but arent the old JBL's on the BRIGHT side?

How would they compare to well broken-in EV 12L's ? I'll stick with one of these for a particular cab, and sell the other two.

smolder

That combination worked pretty well for Duane and Dickey.

The JBL's will be more crisp and very articulate on the high end. I think they are incredible speakers... have sold all my EV's - but they also sound good with the Marshall... just a bit more neutral.

SonicBoom

I have a quad in my 4x12 hooked to a '70 SL - instant Dickey Betts/ABB with a Marshall. Very little diff. tone wise btw. orange and gray frame. I have both. They sound much better in an open back cab than closed.

I would keep a pair rather than a single. They will brighten a dark amp, which can be good or bad depending on taste. EVs seem to be more neutral, but every time I hear ABB's One Way Out, I fall in love with JBLs all over.

PS - they do Not like to be over-driven to the point of cone breakup.

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Many thanks for the replies. I will be thinking about this while being home-bound due to the approaching ice storm. If the power stays on Ill give them a listen for sure!

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Many thanks for the replies. I will be thinking about this while being home-bound due to the approaching ice storm. If the power stays on Ill give them a listen for sure!
Yeah give them a try it's only gonna tell you if you like them or no so much..

I have a few original Gray and orange frame JBL D120f's however, I only like JBL's in a clean amp for Jazz or clean Country pickin and Surf. Not a great sound for heavy Rock or Metal .. I still use a original D120F in my 61 Bandmaster w/ tone ring Cabinet.. It's the perfect speaker for the vintage Surf sound.. It's a great speaker thats for sure!!

billyguitar

Yeah give them a try it's only gonna tell you if you like them or no so much..

I have a few original Gray and orange frame JBL D120f's however, I only like JBL's in a clean amp for Jazz or clean Country pickin and Surf. Not a great sound for heavy Rock or Metal .. I still use a original D120F in my 61 Bandmaster w/ tone ring Cabinet.. It's the perfect speaker for the vintage Surf sound.. It's a great speaker thats for sure!!
That's very cool! I have the same except it's a Bassman. It has a single 12" Jensen. A weird one but I guess it is a stronger than normal speaker. It doesn't have any name but it is a Brown Alnico Jensen. I do have some grey D120s. That would look cool in there, like yours!

miamimart

Terry, here's am ongoing thread that addresses some of your questions. Have fun.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188267

I have a couple of these speakers in regreat shape, been boxed up for a long time. They came out of a 1970 Twin but are not the orange-frame D120F...they are the standard grey-frame 8 ohm JBL D120's.

Im being very lazy by asking before I bother to cab them and try! Anyone have comments? They seem to be well regarded but arent the old JBL's on the BRIGHT side?

How would they compare to well broken-in EV 12L's ? I'll stick with one of these for a particular cab, and sell the other two.

Fulldrive-1

I played my 100 watt marshall with PPIMV through a Marshall 4x12 with four K120 once. Very loud, very bright, very "quick" response. Not my cup of tea but great for tappers and shredders and metal heads.

Mark Kane

I had two JBL D120's in a blues breaker style combo cab with a Komet Concorde type chassis loaded and it sounded great. Really great! Honky, punchy rock and roll. I was really impressed with the sound, it was unique but still familiar sounding. Way more Duane than Dickey though.