Classic Player Jazzmaster Issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarlifestyle, Feb 22, 2012.

1. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I recently ordered a Classic Player Jazzmaster. The first guitar I received had sharp fret edges and the infamous bridge buzz, which I thought had been resolved by the CP redesign. I returned the guitar and just received the second one. It, too, has sharp fret edges (even worse than the original), and it seems like the bridge is buzzing on this one, too. I do need to adjust the neck when I get home, so I don't know if that'll help, but I'm curious as to how common these issues are. Rolling the fret edges and replacing the bridge isn't that big of a deal, but it seems like something I shouldn't have to do on a brand new guitar. I'd appreciate hearing other experiences with the CP Jazzmaster.

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

In the past I've had both the CP Jazzmaster and CP Jaguar. Neither had sharp fret ends or a buzzing bridge. I have an AVRI Jazzy now and 1 string has a wee bit of buzz.

I don't know what the solution is, but this is the first I've read about the infamous bridge buzz on the CP models.

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Well the bridge is a TOM bridge. So get your tech to fix/tighten the retaining wire (I assume there is one). Or go Callaham or some other aftermarket manufacturer for the wireless TOM bridge.

And yeah go get your frets done too. It's a middle end guitar, not everything will be perfect hehe.

4. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have a CP jazzmaster and the frets are actually really nice.
    i had it set up immediately and it's a really awesome guitar
    i never thought of returning it or selling it. ...or even changing the pickups.
    i like the stock pickups a lot

the bridge buzzed slightly (i only noticed when UNplugged)
    i bought a GFS roller bridge for the tremolo and it works really good
    (although there is sometimes a slight buzz - when UNplugged)
    no big deal
    this guitar will not go out of tune. it stays in tune unlike any guitar i've played.

i suggest to take it in for a GOOD set up - and ask him about smoothing out the frets
    these are good guitars but they NEED to be set up appropriately to shine.

5. guitarlifestyle

After some humidity treatment, the frets have eased up a little bit. I too only notice the bridge buzzing when I play it unplugged, but it's still really annoying. I may try the roller bridge. I also plan on going up a gauge in strings to see if that helps at all. This guitar is so comfortable and sounds so good, I think it may be worth trying to ease out some of the issues.

6. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

...i use 11-49 on the Jazzmaster

7. guitarlifestyle

I thought the CP redesign had fixed all the buzzing issues, but after my first one buzzed, I started doing some research, and it was more common than I realized. Not a huge deal by any stretch, but annoying.

8. guitarlifestyle

As a follow up, I sent the 2nd one back and ordered a 3rd from a different retailer. This one is better, but a few frets are still poorly cut, and one string rattles badly at the bridge. I'll probably end up keeping this one as these are fairly easy fixes, but I'm disappointed at the sloppy QC work on these.

I've been buying Fenders for years, and this is the first time I've seen such sloppy fret work. The CP Jazzmaster isn't a high-end guitar, but I would have expected better in an $800 guitar. By contrast, my Jimmie Vaughan Strat, which is about the same price range, is one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned, so I don't know what happened with these JMs.

Regardless, the JM is so much fun to play I think I can live with a few issues.