Classic Player vs AVRI Jaguar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrOctagon, Feb 8, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

I've been really wanting a Jag lately and am wondering if anyone here has positive things to say about either (hopefully the CP so I don't have to sell everything I own). Or maybe even experiences with a MIJ Jaguar, though I don't know where to find one of those. Also a good place to find a used one of any of these guitars would be appreciated, they never seem to come up on craigslist. Thanks guys

2. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Japanese Jaguars are really good from my experience.
    Buy used, they are not too expensive.
    Pickups might be the weak point, same as electronics, but that is true for 85-95% of all axes around.

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Had the classic player and a japanese jag. They were both great but the japanese jag felt a little better built to me. I love the tremolo on it

4. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Had an MIJ Jaguar a while back and currently have a CIJ Jazzmaster. I've also owned AVRI's of both and the Japanese guitars were built better, IMO. Electronics are weak, but you'll likely want to change those out of MIJ or USA Jags.

5. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Ok thanks a lot guys. So it looks like the Japanese are winning so far, anyone have any luck with the Mexican Classic Players? If they're on par with my Classic 50's Esquire and Classic player strats they've got be be pretty good, but comparable to an MIJ?

6. 909one

909one Member

I think the classic player Jags do play pretty nice. But they use a tune-o-matic bridge and also move the tremolo unit closer to the bridge to increase break angle. Some people say this solves the bridge issue with the Jaguar, to others it varies from tradition too much. That's something you'd need to figure out if you care about. I personally wouldn't buy the Classic Player because of the those reasons, but I am more of traditionalist. The standard Jag/JM bridge issues can be remedied without tune-o-matic bridges and IMO that's part of the charm of those guitars.

MIJ or CIJ is the way to go. I have a MIJ from '93 that is pretty great. I did replace most of the electronics though.

7. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

I've actually got a MIJ 54 Strat which I'm planning on selling so maybe that will go into the financing of a MIJ Jaguar. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese pickups either. Is there anywhere I can order the MIJ/CIJ Jaguars that aren't the black with the matching headstock?

8. Dale

Dale Member

I have had my Classic Player Jag (HH) for several years. It is one of the few guitars of my 15-20 that is totally stock. I do not use the single coil split full on a lot, but do find that rolling it off the full bucker setting by about 1/4 turn really allows the guitar to come alive. I am not sure why, perhaps it is like the old PAF's with unbalanced coils or something.

9. Dale

Dale Member

The Classic Players come in several colors. I have a sunburst model.

10. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

11. Dale

Dale Member

12. Bart

Bart Member

13. Dale

Dale Member

Cool. Those colors are not listed on the Fender site that I found.

14. Bart

Bart Member

I think those were primarily released for the Japanese market. They have more available cool colors and body accoutrement. Like the bound Jazzmaster and the one with f-hole.

Here are the available colors for the Special HH:

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/jgs.html

15. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Yeah those are awesome would they ship from Japan? I heard a lot of stores won't since they got a slap on the wrist from fender America for eating into their sales margins so I guess I'd have to find a smaller place that might. Or go to Japan, which is sounding like a better idea every day.

16. fishlog

fishlog Member

The Classic Player Jaguar I have has just become my number one guitar. I have been cruising around TGP tonight reading about it and trying to figure out why it took me 9 months to realize just how good it is after buying it.

I love the tune-o-matic bridge specially after owning a CIJ Jag that had all the typical bridge problems. Despite the new bridge and other modifications it still retains that Fender sound, I compared it to having the power of a Tele with out the twang in another thread.

I typically keep the pickup dialed in half way, which allows the tone to remain crisp, but still provides a good amount of muscle.

I love it!

[​IMG]