Classic Reverb on a budget (sorry, it's a two rock thread)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gunnar1104, Oct 1, 2008.

1. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

I know Two Rocks are considered by many to be Dumble clones but have heard lately that a lot of their amps are taking a slightly different route.

So, I was wondering what kind of amp could get me close to the Classic Reverb tone, for a slightly lesser price. Also, if this amp was fairly low wattage that would be great.

Thanks

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Well I have to first say that I am a huge fan of the Classic Reverb. The amp I strongly considered as an alternative is the Bruno Cowtipper. The Cowtipper does not fall in the "Dumble" camp, but I'm not sure the Classic Reverb does either (although it's closer). While the Classic Reverb is $5,500 for the 50 watt version, a 22 watt Cowtipper is $2,199 for the head, and the 35 watt Cowtipper is $2,499 for the head.

The Cowtipper has a beautiful tone- just amazing! They have far fewer features than the Two-Rocks, so you need to decide if you can live with that. They will not offer the versatility. Also, IMO a 6v6 amp (like the 22 watt Cow) will never sound like a 6L6 amp such as the Classic Reverb or the 35 watt Cow. Be careful going for low wattage. The Cow does not have a master either.

One other possibility to consider is the Two-Rock jet @ $3,300 for the head. You can run either 6v6's or 6L6's. It's voiced differently than the Classic Reverb though. The jet is a great sounding amp too, and far cheaper than the Classic Reverb. (did I just use "cheap" and "Two-Rock" in the same sentence? LOL :roll) I would imagine the jet would give you a better lead tone than the Classic Reverb, but not as good cleans. (Subjective I know...)

3. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

thanks a lot!
    how does the cowtipper take pedals/OD?

4. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Also, what are the differences between the tone out of the 6L6's and 6V6's?

5. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Fender Super Reverb

6. datriani

datriani Member

My take is that the Dumble Overdrive Special and their clones are loosely based on the Fender sound. The Dumble ODS has the FET input which I'm guessing is like basically building in a FET Overdrive pedal into the amp. Robben Ford said that the close 2nd to his Dumble is the Fender Twin Reverb amp. I could see running a tube screamer or keeley pedal in front to get that tone.......

The other Dumble model that's pretty popular is the Steel String Singer that SRV had, that was basically a lower gain, cleaner Dumble amp...So probably more like a Super Reverb. I have a Budda Stringmaster which is said to be their take on the this Dumble model. It definitely sounds great, nice low end, smooth mids and highs, pretty flexible with nice options like effects loop (series and parallel), cabinet switching, rated at 30 watts but you could pull out 2 of the EL84 swap the Rectifier tube for a lower rating and make it a 15-18 watter. I can't say whether or not it sounds like the SSS but I like it alot. It does have a 2nd channel and when pushed it does get a dumblish tone, crunchy but very unique.

7. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

How is an Omega modded HRD in comparison to any of these?

8. auraelux

auraelux Member

I've been looking for the same thing lately and the Ceriatone Overtone Special HRM seems to do the trick, as well as have extra gain on tap for more hard rock sounds. At least thats what ive gathered from the sound clips and videos

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Or just do like Robben Ford does with the twin, and run a Zendrive into it :)

10. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I'm going to agree with Gasmask here. The Bruno Cowtipper is about the next best thing in my book. Get either the 35 or 45 model and grab a Zendrive 2 and a good FET boost.

The Bruno is my second favorite clean amp ever next to the Classic Reverb. The CR has 10x as many different tones in it, but for a straight up clean, it's close in quality.

Still not quite the same in many ways, but a VERY good compromise.

11. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

How heavy can you get with OD? I'm looking for a kind of John Mayer tone, but it would be nice to be able to use some hard rock dist/OD as well.

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

What he said. Not near as versatile but has a high quality tone for sure. Feels good too. That said I feel the Classic Reverb is worth the extra $ for all the extra tones and things it does.

Maven offered up the Super Reverb as a cheap alternative and that's a great recommendation as well.

13. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

What can the Classic Reverb do that the Bruno can't?

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

It has a really nice OD ... not typical Two Rock OD (Dumble), it's a bit more towards Marshall, but smoother. Really nice rock tone.

I tried one at CliffC's place, and was really smitten. A bit outside my price range, so ...

Super Reverb Reissue, Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse 45 and Cowtipper are all good choices.

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

CR Has more Clean headroom.CR Can get an awesome high gain sound. Has a footswitchable reverb defeat. Has a footswitchable variable FET control which is awesome. Has a loop. Has a gain control. Has a bright, mid and deep switch as well as footswitchable tone bypass. Has switches to alter input feedback as well as overall feedback settings. Three way reverb switch with 2 knobs. Outstanding verb.Has a classA/low power setting. Takes almost any tubes.Has a 100 watt output tranny so you can Run KT88s and get 85 watts out of it. Has external bias trimmer and measuring point.

Has so many more tonal possibilities yet can do anything the Cow can do. I have owned a Cowtipper 90 and recent 45 and neither were in the same league as the CR. Nor did they cost as much.

16. johnzias

johnzias Member

I agree with everything said above save that the CR can sound like the Cow. The Cow has the best onboard Reverb I've ever heard in an amp, and to me, sounds like a mid power Fender with a little more width, slightly less snap, and a touch more sugar. Certainly not a technical assessment, but a personal one nonetheless.

That said, it's is not nearly as versatile as the Classic Reverb for all the reasons given in the prior post. I used both of these amps in tandem for a while before I recently sold my Cow to a fellow TGP'er.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  17. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

what are the controls on the tipper? how's gain/taking pedals?

any more info on the HRM? or is that not the best suggestion?

what's a good price range for a used CR 50 watt?

18. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

What is your "slighty lesser" range?

I agree with others, the CR is more in the Fender BF camp. I'd recommend the Pure 64 in the emporium. It's going for a good price loaded with RCA Blackplates. I have the same "original" type plus a new Meanstreet 100 watter. If you're going for the Mayer sig type tones like in the youtube demo video this amp will do it in spades. But whatever amp you choose go for 6L6's instead of 6V6's. They will give you that big round tone with more umph.

19. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Slightly lesser range meaning price? well I'm aiming for $1000-$2000 but i could go for a litt more if i had to.

20. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

The Pure 64 is another option for sure, but IMO the Bruno is slightly better in regards to feel.

The P64 is punchier and perhaps more flexible, but the Bruno had a little more mojo for me.

I've owned both and favored the Cowtipper.

As far as reverb goes, it's not even a contest, Bruno all the way.