Classic Rockers: What will I Like ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, May 5, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I play in stereo through a blackfaced Fender Twin, and an old Peavey Tube amp. I have the following: which one(s) will I like for classic and southern rock?

Jetter Purple
    Jetter Gold
    MI Crunch Box
    Box of Rock - on the way
    Tonebone Classic - on the way
    Xotic BB Plus - 'bout to pounce on it.

2. dave s

dave s Member

If the BOR doesn't work out for you, try the Crunch Box next. Sounds pretty 'classic rock' to my ears.

dave

3. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I haven't heard the Jetters, but the Crunch box covers Classic Rock nicely. Unless you do things like Queen covers.

4. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

For crystal clear mild overdrive with balls cant go past a Klon or/and a Fuchs Valve job. For SRV - hendrix tones I will never change my Cusack Sreamer fuzz - absolutely brilliant pedal !!

Best fender type crunch Analogman KOT.

5. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I've only tried (and owned) the BoR and the Tonebone Classic, and their both great pedals. The Tonebone has more tweakability, and is a tad more "complex" (perhaps not the right word) in use. The manual should give you quite some good suggestions based on artists like ZZ Top, SRV and Eric Johnson (should be able to download the manual from the Radial website). The BoR I found more to be 'plug-and-play' (with some tweaking) and has a great boost. A good duo in my book!!

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Little Green Wonder or Fulltone Fulldrive

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just got a BB plus for my classic rock gig. It's the best dirt pedal I've ever used! I wanted a tone that was somewhere between AC/DC and Van Halen and this pedal nailed it! Not only that, but it eliminated my need for a solo boost. Killer!

8. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I use a Crunchbox for the heavier tunes (AC/DC) ect. and a Fulltone OCD for great OD.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

AC/DC is not what I call heavy, nearly clean sounding, that is before the Fly on the wall, thunderstruck era....

TRY the BSIABII or the Brownie, and don't look back because really for what you want there isn't better for the price. Refer to my clips, which would be sounded better if I had a fender amp!!! wow, huh?

10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

My thinking too. I use a King of the Britains for my classic rock sounds but it has way more gain than is need for AC/DC stuff.

11. micjonga

micjonga Member

Just the plain BB is right on with an LP doing Classic Rock!

12. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I would love to try the KOB, what is the best version?

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I agree. I've had both the King of the Britains and the Box or Rock, and the KOTB is IMO voiced more like a 'plexi' whereas the BoR is more like a 'JTM'. Both great pedals, albeit different, and both have boost. I did find the tone control on the BoR to be more 'active' (changed more) than on the KOTB. I miss the KOTB.

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea.. I have had both and miss both. Over the years I have bought pedals that I just LOVED... but sold them over some small little thing I didnt like. But then the good qualitys of the pedal that is only done by "that" pedal is lost because of it. Sad really. I just dont have the $$ laying around to keep a pedal around and not on my board that cant "fit in" and be used consistently for my tastes/needs.

BOR: Too much low end for my high gain needs.

KOTB: EQ too spongey, low end too loose, and took up too much pedalboard room.

Sounds like poor reasons, but I feel the Fetto really fit me better than these two.

I have never re-bought any pedals I have sold before... but before long, I will be building a second board and I will diversify and build the two chains for either strats and les pauls or... one for vinatge analogy country and one for rock/blues.

15. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I'd add the Mentaone Blue Collar to that list. It's one of my favorites and one of the gals in the band says I sound too '70s when I use it! :D

16. wahwah

wahwah Member

Considering the amp you're using, the Jetter Purple will get you closest of those pedals to a Plexi Marshall sound, which is a staple in classic rock. The Crunch Box is closer to a JCM800, which is more like an 80's rock sound. Also, the Purple has a more convincing amp like quality than the Crunch Box, IMO. I don't like what the BOR does into a Fender, it just doesn't seem to be a great combination.

Cheers..................................wahwah

17. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

WahWah:

My favorite combo at the moment is the Purple goosed a bit by the Barber LTD for some sweetness. I have the BOR, BB Plus, ToneBone Classic on the way...Still in the hunting stage.