Classic Tweed Amps and Humbucker Guitars: Examples?

SAVROHR

I am trying to come up with a list of guitarists who use humbuckers through classic tweed amps like a Fender Deluxe. Any come to mind?

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Obvious choice would be Hotel california, 5e3 with les paul or alot of neil young recordings

probably billy gibbons or joe walsh might have something like that

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah the whole 1st montrose album is less paul into a 5e7

HawkeyeKane

Isn't Neils Les Paul a P-90?
From Wikipedia:

"Old Black is allegedly a 1953 GibsonLes Paul Goldtop. It has been customized quite considerably: after the guitar had been left at a guitar repair store, the original bridgepickup was replaced by a Gretsch Dynasonic single-coil pickup. Eventually a mini-humbucker pickup from a Gibson Firebird guitar replaced the Dynasonic. The neck pickup has always been the original P-90 pickup, but it is covered by a metal P-90 cover, most likely from a Gibson ES-330."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Black

Last edited:

HawkeyeKane

I can't find anything definitive, but from the sound of the recordings, I think maybe Jerry Reed used a 5E3 on things like Amos Moses and East Bound and Down. He was known to play a Peavey T-60 when he was doing electric.

neils

Of course Carlton on several Steely Dan Recordings but that 5E3 wasn't dimed (dozened?). Per Carltons own site he says the guitar was full up, the amp on about 3. Either way sweet sweet sounds.

Eagles etc. For a more modern like sound as in great demos and not studio recordings of 5E3's and HB guitars look at the Youtube videos for
www.tweeddeluxe.com

It was tone of Carlton and Walsh/Felder recordings that Ron was looking for as he tuned and tweeked his amps.

Good player, good sounds and a wide range of sounds from one of the smaller Tweeds.

Neil