Classical Guitar Advice...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JJK, Oct 5, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

I'm thinking of getting a classical style guitar so I went to GC the other day and tried out this Rodriguez cutaway with a pickup...I forget the exact model. This thing was nice though with rosewood back and sides. It was originally $999 but they marked it down to $599 to get it out of the store. It also retailed for like $2500 so I think they marked it way way down. I'm thinking of putting some money down on it but I'm not sure...

I was just wondering what the absolute best classical nylon string guitar would be for the money. I may just go and put money down on the Rodriguez soon...hopefully they still have it in a few days. I don't know too much about classical guitars so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

C'mon man, that's not true at all. There are some of us here

IMHO those Fender distributed Rodriguez guitars at GC are excellent beginner instruments, as are the Alhambras if you can find them.

I'd stay away from the GC Cordobas

3. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I play classical also..... don't be fooled by the high retail of the Rodriguez.........assuming that it's a 50 point line like all Fender generally is that would mean that GC is selling it for HALF of cost which is highly unlikely! I would strongly recommend you check out either a Hohner (German made) classical.........they are excellent sounding and the price is right as they saved money on the finish......it's satin Here's a link for you;

http://www.activemusician.com/Hohner-Classical-Nylon-String-Guitars--c1355b101

I would also consider a Lucinda in that same range;

http://www.fretstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=155

Both of these should be far superior guitars, the Lucinda is made in Spain.......you couldn't go wrong with either. I have played a few Rodriguez guitars and felt they were heavy and dead sounding as they were dipped in a vat of varnish. I've owned many high end classicals and can assure you that you wouldn't go wrong with either.

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I was at the local GC and after being disappointed with most of the steels, decided to check out the nylons. I believe I played that particular model. It was OK, hard to really say, the strings were close to dead. I remember that intonation wasn't good, even low on the neck. Could have been the strings or maybe it was nut placement. YMMV

Basically every guitar I picked up including Martins, Taylors, etc. including those approaching the $3000 range needed a setup. I was a bit surprised.

I'd ask the sales folks if I could restring a guitar I was serious about and then decide over the next few days. The condition of most of the strings would force you to guess at what the instrument really sounds like. Same could be said for the high action on most guitars: sure you could lower the bridge on all of them, but how good is the fret work? would it permit playable action?

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I learned to play on a classical - a basic Gibson C-1. I got an Alvarez-Yairi cutaway in the late 90s for around $1,100, and I have been very pleased with it. You should note I am not a classical or flamenco style player. Those guys will have much stricter standards then me, so checking out the classical guitar forums will give you their input. I do think I have heard some very inexpensive classicals that sounded all right to me...

Good luck!

7. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I was in my GC the other day getting some strings and they had a Rodriguez classical non-electric and the salesman was showing it to someone telling him that there's not a deal anywhere in the guitar world like this one. It was marked down to $399. I think the retail on the tag was around $1200. This one had a chip on the front and a faded place on the back.

vtg

8. JJK

JJK Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'm thinking about getting a J.Navarro, made by the same company that makes Blueridge guitars. One more question though, would I be able to put a Martin Thinline Gold Plus pickup in the guitar? Or would it not sound good in a classical?

9. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Not sure but I would recommend one thing on this. Make sure the pickup that is installed is for Classical guitar. A classical guitar bridge slot is longer than a standard acoustic slot. If the pickup ribbon is for a standard dread it will not cover and 'pickup' tone over the whole area. Case in point: I had this happen with an Alvarez MC90C that I purchased a few weeks ago. Every string sounded out beautifully, except the high e. The reason? The pickup was a dread pickup and the ribbon didn't go all the way under the high e.

Just a thought to consider

10. JJK

JJK Member

I went with the Rodriguez. I put some money down and will pay for the rest soon. Can't wait to have it!

11. doc

doc Member

Just thought I'd brag for a second - just picked up a classical made by Manuel Velazquez' Puerto Rican shop for $70. There are deals out there for the patient and determined.

12. JJK

JJK Member

Update:

I went to GC today and played a used Made in Canada Kamouraska Etude classical. It was only going for $249 so I just bought it instead of the Rodriguez. They're both nice, but the Etude was so much cheaper so I went with it.

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

:dunno

Enjoy the new guitar!

14. JJK

JJK Member

Yeah I realized that I can't afford the $599 for the Rodriguez. Too much money for me right now...the Etude is good enough and I'll probably have some type of pickup installed in it soon. What would be a good classical pickup?

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Have a look at K&K's offerings. I have used their pickups in steel-strings and ukuleles with a lot of success. This one might serve you well: http://www.kksound.com/pureclassic.html

Bryan

16. JJK

JJK Member

Cool, I had a K&K Western Mini installed in one of my guitars a while back. I'll check out the Pure Classic.

17. doc

doc Member

Thought I'd revise my post. Turned out my "Estrella" that in the pics looked for all the world like "the real deal" is Japanese. Having said that its a nice "vintage" Japanese and a fairly nice guitar in its own right, but definitely not in the class on one out of the Velazquez shop. I'm still happy with my purchase.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Please post some pics! (I'm a Velazquez aficionado, I'd like to see who is copying him)