Classical Guitar Suggestions Please...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by lkft, May 7, 2020.

1. lkft

lkft Member

Greetings and salutations! Hope everyone is safe and relatively healthy!

I have decided to purchase a nice but not pricey classical guitar so that I can develop my right hand technique better and also for the enjoyment of learning and playing some of the classics. Budget would prob max out at $1k although I have the means to go well above that I just know myself and need to feel this style of guitar out before dropping that kind on money on an instrument.

Suggestions welcome! Some things to be aware of. I live in Puerto Rico and I have not had good experiences with wood, acoustic guitars and the year round high humidity here. My electrics have faired fine but the acoustics have tended to absorb the humid air into the wood, developing a belly around the bridge and consequently the action would raise to the point where it would be unplayable and no matter what I did to dry it out it would never get back to a playable condition so I was forced to move on. I do have and thoroughly enjoy my Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic but this is a steel string and of course I'm wanting a nylon string classical. I understand that the finish on most classical guitars allow them to better withstand humid conditions compared to a steel string guitar...or perhaps it's the reduced string tension...IDK. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's had to deal with high humidity so please fire away! At least I can say my lips never get chapped lol!

Thanks in advance!

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't know what's available in your area. At your price point I think the Cordobas are a solid, good sounding guitar, you won't really get anything significantly better until you get up in the $2000-$3000 range.

lkft likes this.
  3. lkft

lkft Member

I was leaning that way already! Spruce or Cedar top??

4. FusionRock

FusionRock Member

How timely. I just received today a Calido cedar top guitar. I've had a Cordoba crossover model for a few years, but wanted a traditional, wide neck to really learn Classical and Brazilian styles.

It's not very expensive....it's more of an intermediate model. I'm very impressed. The thing is in tune up the neck with the setup it was given. I saw some videos online and some comments on Amazon which steered me to Calido guitars. The owner, Dan, is great and setup the guitar very well. A pleasure to do business with. If I hadn't read a comment on Amazon, I never would have discovered the guitar. I was already going to get another Cordoba model.

Check out the video at the link and see for yourself. I didn't want to spend a lot as I learn these styles. When I get a lot better I'll purchase a higher end guitar.

https://calidoguitars.com/store/Cal...tar-Solid-Cedar-top-Koa-Back-Sides-p134526892

lkft likes this.
  5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

6. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

Kenny Hill guitars are worth a look

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have spruce tops on my two concert classical guitars, some people love cedar. Cedar compresses a bit more and is a bit more forgiving, tone-wise

8. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

I have a Kenny Hill New World Player with the elevated fingerboard. Since I got it at a festival, Kenny gave me a 25% discount. Theses guitars are made in a Chinese factory that Kenny oversaw and supervised. The construction, fit, and finish are impeccable. He has other models well under a grand.
    I loaned it to a friend who was waiting on delivery of his Córdoba. To his ears, the Hill and Córdoba are sonically similar. His teacher prefers the Córdoba, feeling it has a better bass response.

The Hill I really wanted was $8,000. Unaffordable, it had incredible tone, playability, and mojo.

fuzz_factor likes this.
  9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

If you liked your Cordoba, other than the neck, have you looked at something like the C5. I bought one for my kid years ago and even their teacher found no reason to move up to something "better".

They also make a full range of Flamenco models both traditional with cypress back and sides, or the one my kids teacher kept around for lessons, an F7 Paco, modeled after one of Paco De Lucia's rosewood and cypress, shallow body guitars. Only $549.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...51672000001000?rNtt=cordoba flamenco&index=10

10. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I stopped into Acoustic Vibes Music in Arizona while visiting my parents last year. They had a Kenny Hill with a sound port and maybe an elevated fretboard. I picked it up, played a few notes and realized it was one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. The sound and feel was fantastic. I thought about that guitar for days. It didn't have a price, so I finally called hoping to take it home. I don't remember the exactly price, but it was something like $4,500. Yikes! I was expecting $1,200-ish.

I had heard of New Worlds and knew they were affordable, but didn't realize Kenny Hill was primarily known for hand-making really exquisite classical guitars!!! Oops.

I fool around with classical guitar and own a Cordoba, but man - that Kenny Hill made an impression. I'd really like to get a New World one of these days. If it's even half as nice as the hand-built US model I tried...

Matt Sarad likes this.
  11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Late to the party. Tom Prisloe's Pavan TP10 or TP20 should be on your radar.

Cedar tops are better able tolerate humdity changes than spruce. I would consider cedar in your environment.