• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Classical guitar with slightly thinner neck and thinner body?

Berlin Chris

Hi,

I just don´t feel comfy on a typical big, wide classical neck, so I am looking for a nice classical guitar with a thinner than normal body-depth and a nut width more suited for an electric player. My main goal is a good acoustic sound - a pickup would be a welcomed addition though.

So far I only tried (and owned) a Yamaha APX4 Nylon string which felt nice but sounded not good at all. Any suggestions you may have for a budget guitar? I would like to keep it around 1k maximum.

Thanks...

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
For that price you should be able to get something like a Taylor NS34 used through E-bay with a Fishman pickup system. They are selling for <$1,000, and they also have a slightly narrower nut at 1-7/8 as well as a radiused fretboard. If you don't mind plugging in, a Godin would be a great choice--they also have a smaller nut and radiused fretboard.

Arc Angel

You need a crossover nylon string guitar. It won't sound like a classical though. You might also consider a flamenco guitar. Anything, made to specs confirming to an Esteso or Hernandes blanca (cypress) will be quite thin and light with much lower action than a typical classical. Do you mean thinner or narrower neck? To me, anything under a 1 3/4 isn't really suitable for fingerstyle (assuming you want to fingerpick).

Personally, I've not been too impressed with the sounds of any Taylors, Larrivees, etc, crossover nylons. A little dead and lifeless to me (in contrast to their steel strings).

TommyStrat

Denny Stevens made me a custom classical with 3/16 slimmer neck and small body cutaway that is great. He is in Salem Oregon. Good to see some other players that feel the same as I.

Tommy

Hi,

I just don´t feel comfy on a typical big, wide classical neck, so I am looking for a nice classical guitar with a thinner than normal body-depth and a nut width more suited for an electric player. My main goal is a good acoustic sound - a pickup would be a welcomed addition though.

So far I only tried (and owned) a Yamaha APX4 Nylon string which felt nice but sounded not good at all. Any suggestions you may have for a budget guitar? I would like to keep it around 1k maximum.

Thanks...

royd

Chris,

seek out and play a Lowden S25J... it meets all of your criteria and is a wonderful guitar. George has always built classical guitars in addition to steel strings so he knows the differences between the design and construction of the two types of guitars.

I played one at NAMM that was wonderful.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom