Classical guitar with slightly thinner neck and thinner body?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Berlin Chris, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Hi,

I just don´t feel comfy on a typical big, wide classical neck, so I am looking for a nice classical guitar with a thinner than normal body-depth and a nut width more suited for an electric player. My main goal is a good acoustic sound - a pickup would be a welcomed addition though.

So far I only tried (and owned) a Yamaha APX4 Nylon string which felt nice but sounded not good at all. Any suggestions you may have for a budget guitar? I would like to keep it around 1k maximum.

Thanks...

2. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

For that price you should be able to get something like a Taylor NS34 used through E-bay with a Fishman pickup system. They are selling for <$1,000, and they also have a slightly narrower nut at 1-7/8 as well as a radiused fretboard. If you don't mind plugging in, a Godin would be a great choice--they also have a smaller nut and radiused fretboard.

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Nuclearfishin, that sounds great. I will see if I can check one out at the local dealers. Thank you!

4. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Fender Grand Nylon 47 sce is all solid wood and thinner neck and runs around $750 new.

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

You need a crossover nylon string guitar. It won't sound like a classical though. You might also consider a flamenco guitar. Anything, made to specs confirming to an Esteso or Hernandes blanca (cypress) will be quite thin and light with much lower action than a typical classical. Do you mean thinner or narrower neck? To me, anything under a 1 3/4 isn't really suitable for fingerstyle (assuming you want to fingerpick).

Personally, I've not been too impressed with the sounds of any Taylors, Larrivees, etc, crossover nylons. A little dead and lifeless to me (in contrast to their steel strings).

6. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

Denny Stevens made me a custom classical with 3/16 slimmer neck and small body cutaway that is great. He is in Salem Oregon. Good to see some other players that feel the same as I.

Tommy

7. royd

royd Member

Chris,

seek out and play a Lowden S25J... it meets all of your criteria and is a wonderful guitar. George has always built classical guitars in addition to steel strings so he knows the differences between the design and construction of the two types of guitars.

I played one at NAMM that was wonderful.

8. wbm68

wbm68 Member